Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Configuring DLink DIR 615 Router as wired repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

premkumar9

Hi,
I have optical fiber internet connection at my home which is kept at the ground floor. I want to take the LAN connection from the modem to the 2nd floor and connect to a spare DLink Router Model DIR 615 available with me and transmit the signal through the WiFi of the router in the second floor. Can anybody guide me on how to do it if possible.
Fig 1) The unit where the optical connection comes. The blue connector is the optical connection
1655181625245.png
1655181822782.png

Fig2) The spare router available with me
1655182113542.png

Connect a PC or laptop to a LAN port on the spare router.
Open a web browser and go to its configuration page (the IP address on the underside).

Set its LAN address to one digit different to the main router LAN, or some other address with only the last group different - eg. if the main one is at 192.168.1.1, set the spare to 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.0.240 etc.

Also disable the DHCP server in the spare router. Save the settings, switch it off.

Reconnect the computer to your normal network and also connect the spare router using a LAN port (ignore the WAN port now).

Check you can get to the configuration page of the spare router, at whatever address you set, and verify it's DHCP server is off. It is now working as a WiFi access point rather than a router - the original one is the system router.

Then set up its WiFi with exactly the same network name (SSID), password and security options as your main router.

Make sure they are on different channels, at least 5 apart from each other - or opposite ends of the band.
(Channel numbers are from an older system - each WiFi unit takes from 4 to 8 of those old "channels" on 2.4GHz).

Save settings and restart it again.

That should have it working, with "roaming" between the original and new WiFi points; any WiFi device should move freely between the two, using whichever is best from any location.

[If you specifically do not want roaming, use a different network name & password on the second WiFi AP].

Thank you so much. I have done this. One more doubt. I gave the name 'Prem' to my repeater. But how to make it password protected? The lock symbol is not coming against it. Does it mean anybody can log in without a password?
1655203897467.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back