Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

conductive ink

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

Has anyone used this conductive ink?
I am designing a small lightweight project that just has 1 red LED 1 smd resistor, a motion detector switch, and a small coin cell battery,
I was planning on drawing a circuit using conductive ink on plexiglass.

Has anyone used this conductive ink?
I am designing a small lightweight project that just has 1 red LED 1 smd resistor, a motion detector switch, and a small coin cell battery,
I was planning on drawing a circuit using conductive ink on plexiglass.
How are you planning to attach the components? I doubt that the plexiglass will stand up to soldering temperatures.

The only components are 1-LED, 1_smd resistor, 1-coin cell battery, and 1-motion sensor switch.
Planning on using some adhesive-backed copper foil folded over at the ends to contact the conductive ink.
Using super glue to adhere all the components.
Should work after testing.
Battery contacts are copper foil glued to 2 plastic pieces with a 3mm spacer glued as a spacer. Battery is sandwiched between.

How about using perfboard?

Planning on using some adhesive-backed copper foil folded over at the ends to contact the conductive ink.
Won't that put the adhesive (not copper) in contact with the ink?
For such a simple circuit you could use a scrap of ordinary copper-clad board with the copper scratched away where not wanted.

this project is for earrings that light up.
bending over the ends of the foil, then gluing just the edges should work hopefully.

this project is for earrings that light up.
Ahh. Now the plexiglass use makes sense.
Direct wiring between components might be a more reliable alternative to conductive ink?

You could use much finer wire than 30g. Even something like 47g (which is almost invisible !)

The issue with using 30g wire is maybe its thickness. Not sure
If you're only running a few milliamps, then 30 gauge is fine.

I would also change the resistor from SMD to an 1/8W leaded axial part. Two fewer solder joints to make since the wires are already attached. Same for the LED.

It's possible that some people have used conductive ink for similar projects, but it would be difficult to say for sure without more information.
Check: Apkcor

Conductive ink can be a good choice for creating lightweight and flexible circuits, and it can be a good alternative to traditional copper traces on a circuit board. However, it's important to keep in mind that conductive ink can be more challenging to work with than traditional circuit board materials, and it may require some trial and error to get the desired results.

In terms of your specific project, drawing a circuit using conductive ink on plexiglass could work, but it's important to make sure that the ink is compatible with the material you are using and that it provides enough conductivity to power your LED and motion detector switch. It's also important to make sure that your design is as simple and streamlined as possible, as using too much ink or creating overly complex circuits can lead to issues with conductivity or durability.

Overall, it's possible to use conductive ink for small and lightweight projects, but it may require some experimentation and careful planning to get the desired results. It may be helpful to do some research on the specific conductive ink you plan to use and to seek out advice and guidance from other makers or DIY enthusiasts who have experience with similar projects.

Last edited:
I bought one of these kits: https://circuitscribe.com/
The pen worked fine on paper as long as your lines were solid, drawing over them a few times with a ruler helped. The ink looks like silver, resistance is about 1Ω over 5mm. After a few months, my drawings started to tarnish a bit, but I haven't gone back to check conductivity since.

Unfortunately my pen dried and clogged after leaving it in the hot shed over summer. The pen is a rollerball tip, so it probably won't write on smooth acrylic surfaces for you.

It was a fun kit for a while though and the parts are very cool with little magnetic ball conductor pads, so I definitely want to do something else with them. I was thinking something similar to your acrylic idea, but use an engraving tool to draw microtrenches and lay nickel plated wires down with epoxy for durability.

Last edited:
I bought some conductive paint from MG Chem. for a project I have yet to finish. It might work better then the ink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back