Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

conductive liquids that wont evaporate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Doggy

Remember those mercury switches you could get for balance switching, they are obsolete now aren't they, what can i use as a replacement? I may need to make my own but i will need a similar liquid that is conductive and won't evaporate, any ideas?

what about ferro-fluid, but it will solidify under a current, don't it? what else could I use?

What are you trying to accomplish? If you simply need to detect tilt there are dozens of tilt switches/sensors on the market today. They start at a few dollars and go up from there.

There is plenty of mercury switches. Automobile trunk lamps use them. When opened, the mercury does the contact. Visit your wreck yard for as many as you want.
And mercury is not dangerous. Its mishandling is.

The mechanical, old dial or lever type, home thermostats still use Mercury switch's so apparently someone is still producing them.

If you cant find some of them laying around just ask around the heating and air conditioning places to see if they have any old ones the would part with cheap.

Last edited:
Check out Digikey.com, do a search for tilt switch, they have several types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back