Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Concentric 500K audio pot with DPDT push/pull?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bholder

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas on how to locate a source for stacked dual concentric 500K (or 1M even) audio taper pots with push/pull DPDT switches. They are apparently quite rare and hard to find, but I know they exist, as I own a bass guitar which has one. This is for a similar application where space is extremely limited.

Any ideas? I appreciate any thoughts or pointers to speciality pot distributors....

Heya Bholder!

Have you tried looking at www.digikey.com? or www.mouser.com? These folks have a huge selection of electronics inventory.

Also, you may want to look at the source. If you can find out who made the potentiometer that you already have, you may be able to track down their website and see who distributes their product.

Otherwise, if none of those options work, you can always do some research at www.thomasregister.com.

Good luck bud!

I think he means these type. these are ususally called slide pots. yes they are rare.

**broken link removed**

these are almost obselete where in australia, and they only come in logarithmic.

pike said:
I think he means these type. these are ususally called slide pots. yes they are rare.

No, I think he wants a dual gang rotary pot, with a push/pull DPDT switch, these have always been very rare devices. Usually you have to obtain them as a spare part from the manufacturer of the item which uses it, in this case a guitar - although, he doesn't appear to actually be needing a replacement, but for something he's building.

I think his best chance is via the guitar spares route, have a look at
who sell parts for guitars, or their American source

I have a bass (SB 900 Ibenez ) has 4 control Knobs , no sliders, i'm still tryin to work the parametrics side of things out,,

Simo V8

simoV8 said:
I have a bass (SB 900 Ibenez ) has 4 control Knobs , no sliders, i'm still tryin to work the parametrics side of things out,,

Simo V8

There's a lot of bass players about!.

My 13 year old daughter plays bass, she's recording two tracks tonight, one just vocals (a cover of Dido's Thank You) and one vocals and bass, a self penned song written by the 'Girls Music Workshop' she goes to.

She's also rehearsing in a rock band at school, and last week was taken out of an English lesson (as you can imagine, she was heart broken!) to play bass for year 11 GCSE candidates.

She's the only bass player in the school!. There's always work for bass players :lol:

She's gonna kick some ....... Ive played bass for 15 years , ( Ruff some times smooth some times ) I can't read music , just tryed to feel my way, always tryed to have fun doin it, a bass player with there ears turned on, (Listen to whats goin on around you ) and play to that will always have work .

Good stuff
Simo V8

There's alot to be said for just playing the way you feel where the bass should be ,, but thats from me ( i can't read music ) my daughter is 13 and is musical and has a jam with the old farts,,

Simo V8

I do mean concentric rotary, not sliders. Thanks for the links and ideas, everyone. I haven't yet disassembled the one bass that has them, but it is from Germany, which of course makes things more interesting yet.

I've been through these links, and just as my previous experience, it seems to be either/or - they have dual concentric, or DPDT plus one pot, but not both. Must be a custom deal for the manufacturer. I'll keep looking!

simoV8 said:
She's gonna kick some ....... Ive played bass for 15 years , ( Ruff some times smooth some times ) I can't read music , just tryed to feel my way, always tryed to have fun doin it, a bass player with there ears turned on, (Listen to whats goin on around you ) and play to that will always have work .

Melissa reads music (but not bass guitar music!), she plays piano as well (which is where the music reading comes from), plus flute and drums. She's got a piano, a keyboard, a bass guitar, and a flute - she is NOT having a set of drums :lol:

I dropped her off at the studio about 16:30 BST (15:30 GMT), she's going to ring when she wants collecting.

Custom modular pots

You're going to have to go after a company such as Bourns or Allen-Bradley for such an animal. As a matter of fact, Tektronix used similar items on some of their equipment. A concentric pot with a push-push or push-pull or momentary-contact switch was not all that unusual, but odd enough that it was an item that was put together by the vendor for a large custom order.

It used to be that you could specify a stacked item like that. Don't mess with the traditional hobby resources, which still includes Digi-Key (they source mostly items from Panasonic for such things), but instead concentrate on the old jobbers such as Newark Electronics or Allied Electronics. Check out their section on pots and zero in on A-B and/or Bourns for what you want. The modular pots they have are about 1" square, so will fit in a fairly small space. Some models are assembled with eyelets and other with screws. I saved all the ones I removed from Tek scopes during repairs when I was with them with the idea that I could assemble my own custom items with the pieces, so it can be done. There's a lot of variance in what you can get with these systems.

Dean

Finding a 500K audio DPDT pot

Hmmm.... its in a bass guitar... where might I look?

Actually ALLPARTS has them for guitars and basses, as do a lot of guitar part suppliers. I just googled for push-pull dpdt, there they were.

Judging from the date of this post, Im probably too late.

-Stuart

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas on how to locate a source for stacked dual concentric 500K (or 1M even) audio taper pots with push/pull DPDT switches. They are apparently quite rare and hard to find, but I know they exist, as I own a bass guitar which has one. This is for a similar application where space is extremely limited.

Any ideas? I appreciate any thoughts or pointers to speciality pot distributors....

Found a possible source online at State Electronics outa New Jersey (see potentiometers.com)

Link: Potentiometer.com Stock and Custom Potentiometers

BUT - they are custom order/desiged. IDK the prices.

They also make dual/triple/quad pots w/push/pull shafts or momentary switches, BTW. Now my head is swimming with possibilities!

Hope that helps!

...and over NINE YEARS LATER, I'm still among the many who are looking for dual rotary, concentric-shaft 500k pots with a push/pull on/on DPDT. It's for an electric guitar.

Terminology: "Concentric-shaft" pots means, to me, that there each rotary pot has its own control shaft, one of the shafts being inside the outer, hollow shaft. Two concentric knobs would be needed, and each pot would be turned independently of the other. This is as opposed to "ganged", wherein a single shaft controls all the pots, which are turned at the same time, and are always in the same position as one another.

The Close but no cigar gallery:
Bourns PDB183-GTR21, a ganged dual pot with push/pull on/on dpdt;
Bourns PTJ90 2, a concentric* pair of pots with a push/push on/on SPDT;

More controls wanted
I also want a "Blend pot" like Bourns PDB182-GTRB, but with the addition of a push/pull on/on DPDT

More and more electric guitar players are being introduced to the idea of custom wiring in their instruments; I predict that demand for controls like the ones I've wish-listed above is about to explode. I hope the supply arrives soon!

*In the PTJ90 datasheet on Bourns website, both words "concentric" and "gang" appear; the product fits under "concentric" by my definition, above.

i'm still tryin to work the parametrics side of things out,,
look for the [National Semiconductor Audio Handbook] from the mid 1970s. another good source for parametric EQ design is the [Active Filter Cookbook].
I also want a "Blend pot"
i once built a bass that had active electronics, and fed an op amp connected as a diff amp, and a dual 100k balance pot (two sections, linear taper with a center detent). with the pot all the way to one end, the neck pickup and the bridge pickup were in-phase. with the pot all the way the other way the neck pickup was the same, but the bridge pickup was 180deg out of phase. with the knob at the center detent, the neck pickup was the only pickup active, and the bridge pickup signal self-cancelled. i later found i could do the same thing without an op amp, just using the potentiometer. i think the schematic for it can now be found all over the web. i called it a "phase pot"... IIRC the bridge pickup needs to be one without one side of the coil internally grounded to the case.

I'm still among the many who are looking for dual rotary, concentric-shaft 500k pots
at the time the main reason for 500k pots existing was that there were still many things made with vacuum tubes. the growth of the semiconductor industry obviated the need for such high resistances in volume control circuits.i often see people looking for 500k, 1, and 2Meg pots. these parts are also used on guitars because they present a light load on the pickups. since it appears you are trying to build active electronics, there is a way you can get the light loading on the pickups, and at the same time be able to use more common low resistance pots (10k, 20k, 50k, 100k)... use an op amp in unity gain noninverting mode. you will get the high impedance input that doesn't wash out the pickup sound, and still be able to use off-the-shelf components. this would require one more chip, but save you the expense of rare obsolescent parts. if you want, you can add a load resistance for the pickup that gives you the best sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back