Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Push pull oscillator

aj1000

Hi I have a 5v oscillator taken from 3v3 to 5v using a mosfet push pull circuit. . There is a small pulse on top of each rising edge of each pulse. What causes it and how can I get riid of it?

Thnaks for your help
Al

Attachments

• pushpullconfig.png
    pushpullconfig.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 5vpulse.jpg
    5vpulse.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 100
The circuit you show is not really suitable for building with discrete components, or for voltage level translation.

Both FETs will be turned on briefly during each input transition, and with the input only reaching 3.3V the upper FET may be permanently conducting to some extent.
The upper FET will also be receiving a rather higher gate-source voltage when on, which could explain the overshoot?

Some of the pulse on the scope could also be capacitive feedthrough internally to the FETs, plus the dive asymmetry?

(I don't think it's a scope artefact, as they are usually symmetrical & there is no negative overshoot at all).

Add some decoupling capacitors across your Vdd and ground pins one 0.1uF ceramic and a larger 10uF or bigger electrolytic. Then make sure your probe is set up correctly as suggested above.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back