Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

computer requires 60+ secs before booting

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds a bit like where I work now as the "damned" QC inspector, tolerence on drawing 1mm overseas suppliers or internal donut making stuff "ah its within 5mm that'll do"

Last edited:
Reformat the hard drive.

No you have two options:

1) Reinstall Windows and have to reformat in another year's time.
2) Install Damn Small Linux and it will always boot fast. :D

look this is getting frustrating. THIS IS NOT A SOFTWARE ISSUE its a hardware thing, people stop telling me about windows your not reading posts, the PSU requires 60+ seconds to start not the PC

Could I try putting linux on the micro that runs the PSU ? must be windows programed at the minute... :D

look this is getting frustrating. THIS IS NOT A SOFTWARE ISSUE its a hardware thing, people stop telling me about windows your not reading posts, the PSU requires 60+ seconds to start not the PC

Could I try putting linux on the micro that runs the PSU ? must be windows programed at the minute... :D

Sure it is... the evil empire has infiltrated your PSU, dried up your caps and raised the temperature in your fridge. I'm with hero999... reformat, load linux and ALL (i mean ALL) of your problems go away. :rolleyes:

Disclaimer... I run linux, AIX, solaris, bsd and everything non-windows. Unfortunately my wife needs her XP for alot of applications. Sigh.

I am with Nigel in thinking it is the PS but the MB is not 100% above question. The easy thing to do is to swap out the PS for a working one.

I do not know there is a micro in the PSU. And if there is it would be mask programed and you could not change it. This one is from out of left field.

We've been through this before. The same solution stands, replace the power supply.

Even if PSU trouble is expected, it may be economical to replace few capacitors as Nigel rightly pointed. Replacing it, sounds too costly, at lest in some countries. may be in America, Canada, UK , it may workout cheaper as service charges might be costly.

Service shops in America are a rare breed, nowdays it's basically a group of guys that know absolutely nothing about electronics randomly guessing using what little maker supplied info they can obtain to figure out which board they need to replace. Even with something as relatively simple as a PC power supply the people that have the technical knowledge to diagnose and fix anything but obvious errors and blown caps are in jobs that pay 20 times more designing things more complicated.
I'm sure if I wanted to in a period of a few months I could become an expert an SMPS repairman. And then what, do something that I already know how to do all day long to collect a paycheck? That's why I don't mess around building PC's from scratch anymore, after the first half dozen I built the thrill of putting together a new machine gets dull real fast. The experts that put together retail systems are way better at it then me so I just careful chose what company and service provider I buy my products from.

Last edited:
well like I said not my PSU I've told them zand thats that, the day they cry help I'll send them to the car boot for one thats only costs £ 3 I'm not going to start pulling someones PSU apart without a backup one anyhow, its not the standard type from what I see but a slightly smaller one

Should print a copy of this thread and leave it where they can find it =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back