Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Mouse only working for a second before dropping power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fe_w

I have a USB mouse powered by a AAA battery, unfortunately a battery corroded inside it and damaged it.
After dismantling it and cleaning out the corrosion with vinegar, I tried to use it again, and it seems to work for a second - the red led lights and it moves the pointer when it's connected, but after a second or two it just drops power.

I don't know what could be the problem, as I'm an absolute novice with repairing electronics. Is there anything specific that might cause something like that to happen? It seems to work fine except for the power.

Try a USB hub and another port. You might have to bend the tabs out some. Vinegar is probably a bad choice. Try pepsi followd by baking soda and water mix. Lightly sanding with a nail file is also a possibility.

Look for corrosion on the PCB. The battery electrolyte can eat the copper in the plated thru holes.

I had a usb mouse that I liked and it would quit working. I purchased another and added a USB surge supressor and that model has worked fine ever since.

Did you open the mouse to inspect the circuit board?
How long was it unused?
Have you reseated the receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back