Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer Interaction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolf_humor

I want to develope a light board using LEDs; but I want to be able to control those using a computer program or even a website programming language like PHP. In other words, I want to have a program on my computer that I can type in the letter 'A' and hit enter and the board will display the letter 'A' by lighting the corrasponding LEDs on the board. I know I have to write the code to do that, but I don't know how to interact with the board from the computer, or what I need to purchase to do that.

Please Help!
Thanks!

Do you want just one character each time? A mean, one character fits the whole screen-board?

I think I would use a PIC microcontroller. It'll probably need a MAX232 for conecting to the serial port of the computer. 50 LED for making a 5*10 array. I'm imaging it like this:

-ooo-
o---o
o---o
o---o
-ooo-
o---o
o---o
o---o
-ooo-

50 pins are too many pins to waste from a microcontroller so I would use some multiplexers. Sure there are libraries for controling the serial port for C or JAVA, for example. I think you could be able to send a code through the serial port to your microcontroller each time a key is pressed. Your microcontroller would receive it and, using tables, it would send a combination through its pins to those multiplexers and they would compose the signal for the LED array. :roll:

What do you think about this idea :?:

Single digit is fine. Once I figure out how to do this, I can easily add more later. You have the my idea correct, and I have looked at the PIC microcontrollers and MAX 232, but still am not quite sure I know what to do about getting started.

I know I need to get a breadboard for testing, power supply (I can convert an old computers supply), jumpers, I looked at an APP-II kit. How do I combine the thing to the computer for instant control. I want to first get it to work just by downloading a program to the microcontroller and then I can work on making it web interactive.

By the way, I am very inexperienced at this stuff. I am a fairly good programmer, just never worked with electronics like this before.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back