Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vintage computer restoration project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fintek

PXL_20220324_175845443.jpg

I dug out all my old computers from the 80's/90's to play around with them a little. Anyone have any suggestions/ experiences on the procedure that may help? Obviously I am going to open them up, clean the dust out, and correct any corrosion issues first. My concern is the age of the electrolytic capacitors and floppy disk drives. Has anyone had success with just a good once over and boot them up? Or is it likely something will pop?

Certainly caps will and do cause problems. Look for bulging caps, leaking caps.
Usually around CPU.

1648199797969.png

1648199834601.png

1648199967314.png

Google motherboard burn pictures for other problems.

I have repaired power bricks as well with similar problems. More difficult because
of plastic molding/cement used to assemble brick shell.

Regards, Dana.

Thanks for the info everyone! That's what I expected, caps and disk issues. I haven't tried any of them yet, having a busy weekend with car maintenance. I'll post back here when I have some successes or failures. I hope things go well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back