Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer Engineering + Electrical Engineering ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonaiko

Hello guys...
I am studying computer engineering in my country..
i am a 3rd year student now...
i take alot of electrical courses though.. like Circuit analysis, MicroElectronics and ElectoMagnatic...
i was thinking that other day...
what if i completed my studies as a computer engineer then i signed back as an electrical engineer.. i can get the second degree only in 1 year or 1 year and a half... what do u think guys advice me?

and... what job opportunities do i have as a computer engineer and what do i have as an elecrtical engineer?

plus.. can any body link me to sites that can help me find out more info how can i be an excellent computer/electrical engineer? and what should i do to make myself a special engineer that any company would do anything to hire me...????

thanks alot... :)

computer engineering

hello,
i wish to answer your question because it is 2 years that i turned an electronics engineer.I suggest you not to go for any diversion course after u complete computer engineering rather you can join some other course where u could learn hardcore programing.i mean to say languages which are used to design something.U have to be proficient in computer languages.like C&C++ is the language still asked by companies.
U should be able to design/solve a problem through programming languages..........It is better to be in software field because u r well paid there and u have good working atmosphere.Of course u will find girls in this field.
bye

I would look at the job market before diversifying into two seperate fields like that. It may be very difficult to find a position requiring both Electronics and Computer Engineering skills.

You really would be better off advancing your Computer degree, -more money!

At my university (New Orleans), computer engineering is considered a concentration of electrical engineering, so you are not allowed to have a degree in both. This may be only at my college and others run similarly or it could just be how the program is setup. I'm not sure, but you definitely want to do your homework before making a decision like that like the others have told you. I've been thinking of going back and getting a mechanical engineering degree but am not sure it would be worth it - it would probably take 2-3 years.

what u all said is true guys...
i already a C++ expert i have been learning that for more than 5 years now and i have very good skills in C C++ and VC++... u can also say that i have VB in my small pocket now :p.. but the problem is.. My teacher at the college says that computer engineers are not engineers until they take the intensive electrical courses... like Machines and Power Electronics... i dont have those subjects on my course that is what made me think about my studying... i have an idea that i take those subjects as my free subjects... but i have limited free subjects and i wanted to take smthng fun with them :(

one more thing... my brother is studying IT.. and as u all know it is much easier than computer engineering... becoz they dont take those hard courses like circuits or signal analysis or elecrtomagnatic... but.. he keeps telling me that at the end we r gonna be equal.. we r gonna work the same thing... the world keeps saying that IT = Computer Engineering... WHAT THE HELL IS THAT :( i dont wanna take all those tough courses then be equal to someone who just studied C++ or i dont know what!!!!!!

how can i convince him the opposite? what can i say? plz help me... how does the world consider the IT and the Computer Engineering... plz tell me that computer engineering is much better than IT plz :( how much money im gonna make with my computer engineering?? can anyone link me to sites that have that kind of comparison???

thanks alot all of u...

I just graduated with an EE degree and my old brother is a CSE. I personally think that EE is better degree because we can pick up the software skills by reading books and practice ourselves, but in hardware, it’s a lot easier to learn when you can use the lab equipment in school.

But on job wise, I don’t think there are much difference b/w the two engineering degrees. Me and my brother both got a job as a test engineer, and you need to learn a whole new set of skills anyway.

And, the difference between IT and the CSE is Engineering got paid a lot more :D , and have a lot more opportunity for advancement. You also have opportunity to do more development work rather then customer support.

Side note for the new grad: Both field are being out source to other country, it’s not a staple field anymore :?

I am fresh graduate doing electronic engineering majoring in computer. The outsider (employer) assume that my course is same as computer engineering...but in fact, they are totally different. The same case happen between IT and computer engineering.

IT is more on information management, transaction such as database. They are less technical when compare to computer science. while computer engineering is more to the core system developing and firmware developing. That means programming on hardware such as microcontroller, microprocessor.

The computer and electrical degrees differ by university. At the Univ. of Texas at Austin (where I teach right now), it is in the department of electrical. At Texas A&M it is part of the computer science dept. You could always get a masters in electrical after getting your bachelors in computer. I highly suggest getting a masters, a phd is a personal decision though.

My degree was a combination of EE and Computer science. I've found that having a background in both is really helpful for the embedded design stuff that I'm doing now. Every embedded system needs firmware and sometimes HDL programming in addition to hardware design.

I'm with crust though - If you're going to spend the time you might as well work on a masters at the same time.

crust: Do you have any specific reasons for suggesting getting a Masters? I'm considering going back to school for a masters and am wondering what sort of advantages it would bring.

Brent

Re: computer engineering

VISHOK said:
Of course u will find girls in this field.
Well thats good enough for me!! :lol:

Just remember Electrical engineering is "power generation" based for suburbia ect. whereas electronics engineering is more hardcore stuff like playing around with circuitry and the like!

To me computer engineering is a tiny little field of electronics engineering. i dont know yet about this kinda stuff as i'm 15'ish.

bmcculla said:
crust: Do you have any specific reasons for suggesting getting a Masters? I'm considering going back to school for a masters and am wondering what sort of advantages it would bring.

yes, the main reason is that it doubles your education w/o doubling the amount of time you are in school. Basically, in the bachelors program, you spend two years learning really basic electrical, and history, english, govt. etc. You spend really two hardcore years looking at many aspects of electrical. If you get a masters it is two more hardcore years, and you can pick what you want to take from (usually) a very diverse set of classes. The MS usually opens up many more doors. The PhD is a personal choice b/c the rewards are harder to measure and predict, for me there is satisfaction in knowing that i did it. I would think you cannot go wrong with a masters. Also, many schools make you take all classes for the masters, so there is no thesis, etc to deal with.

welcome to EE

ok, i just graduated with electrical engineering and computer science. i can't say that either one is better than the other! AIM FOR THE SECOND DEGREE!!!!

HANI A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back