Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Component identification in a touch operated light switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about that, as I have actually done some Arduino programming, but I don't know of an 18 pin Micro-controller like the Arduino? I did find one 18 pin one called the Geni 18, power pins the same, but clk and dta on the wrong pins, I wonder if this chip is some Chinese obscure little controller like a mini Arduino, the Seeduino is to small, there are just too many types to troll through, Just for a giggle I emailed the customer service and asked them if they would be so kind as to inform me which Microcontroller is used in the switch, Nothing yet :) Can bootloaders be used with some pic chips then Nigel? I guess if they program them at the factory from the edge connector then surely the bootloader will still be in it?
Yes, PIC's can use bootloaders, I presume most controllers are capable of it. I played with PIC bootloaders a VERY long time ago - I even wrote a version of WinPicProg that would upload files to a PIC with a (specific) bootloader installed.

There are a number of PIC bootloaders available here:

or here:

I even seem to remember MicroChip themselves provided one, as an appnote perhaps?.

The Arduino isn't actually a micro-controller - it's a development system that includes a micro-controller - often an AVR, but also a wide range of other processors, including some PIC's. Apparently the original idea for the Arduino was PIC based, but MicroChip weren't prepared to provide a free compiler for it - Atmel were, the rest is history :D

However, thinking on - it wouldn't help you anyway, bootloaders can only upload code (as far as I know), so you couldn't use one to read the contents, even in the unlikely event that it's not write protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back