Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Component ID or Manufacturer needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunedwolf

Component ID or Manufacturer needed - Resolved

Hey guys, I have an odd problem in that I cannot find any mention of this device's code anywhere on the web despite hours on the search engines and manufacturers sites. I'm hopeful that someone here will recognise this and save my google finger from further strain...

Here's what I have so far...

I have, what I reckon, is either an MCU supervisor/ reset, or a Voltage level detector IC in a SOT-143 package (tiny 4 pin thing with one fat leg at pin 1).

The markings on it are "MFG" (on top of the device), and 309 (on bottom of device).

I'm leaning more towards an MCU reset ic with possibly a trip threshold at 3V, and also with either a capacitor pin or perhaps a manual reset pin.

I need to identify it, so that it can either be replaced or a suitable substitute chosen.

The pin out, I think is this:

Pin 1 = Vss (0V)
Pin 2 = Output (Active High, but in my case, stuck Low)
Pin 3 = Manual /Rst
Pin 4 = Vcc (3.2V)

There's no chance of a service manual or schematic either, as this is fitted in a bespoke process controller, and the manufacturer long since went out of business.
In fact, I very much doubt that a service manual was even produced for this.

Of course, everything I mention here is purely an educated guess based on what I see and have metered, I could be totally off base.

rgds

Update - Issue resolved

OK in keeping with the true sense of science, i.e. blow it up and learn from it, I decided to go with my gut instinct and ordered some STM811 MCU reset devices (Microchip version is now obsolete). These being as close to what I reckoned was the unidentified device, in terms of function and suspected voltage levels. After I received them and fitted one, the control now works perfectly, hurrah, problem solved. :)

My initial device suspect was a Microchip TCM811. I based this on both the information I had already deduced from the circuit, and the possible manufacturing date of the control and the popularity of the Microchip device around the Millenium.

The issue is now resolved, however, I'm more than a bit annoyed that I managed to basically waste three days, completely without success, in my attempts to id the part using "free" resources, i.e the internet, old magazines and databooks etc. I have found through bitter experience both now and in the past, that unless you have a really, really, good idea as to what the smd function is, you are going nowhere in any attempt to identify it, let alone the manufacturer or device part number.

Manuafcturers sites are great in providing useful information, but it's a needle in a haystack scenario because you are basically looking for a two or three letter/ number combinations at the bottom of a datasheet. It really is information overload. Given the average number of possible datasheets per manufacturer available on their web sites, that's a long time and a incomprehensible amount of bandwidth lost in a search for a specific code, plus if you go to the trouble of downloading the datasheet, you feel the need to keep it in case in comes in handy again at a later time, so a huge amount of storage space will also be required!

A central repository of this information must exist somewhere I thought...so my quest continued.
This lead me back to the "free" resources I mentioned. There is only one that I found (link below), other than the various manufacturers web portals, it is a brave attempt by the author, but by no means complete. So popular is this site it seems, that some folks have mirrored it with permission from the author, and some just stole it and claim it as their own!

The task of compiling and cataloging the information from all manufacturers, without their direct help, could possible keep a small team going for life, given the now vast number of devices already available in smt format, with new ones being added every day. So if free resources are not available, unless of course you have a lifetime to search for information, where next? Well the answer for me came in the guise of a data book. A small team, Eugene and Martin Turuta seem to have dedicated a large part of their lives to the task of collating and cataloging information on all sorts of stuff, including smd topcode markings!

It's unclear if the manufacturers are helping them directly, however I see no real reason why they would decline unless it was a prototype of a new device or some other commercially or military sensitive device. The book is reasonably priced, the cost can easily be spread over a few repairs.
In my opinion, this book is quite possibily the only one of it's kind and is a must have if you regularly perform component level repairs where smt is involved.

Anyway, in the book, my device is listed, and I can ease my mind knowing that it wasn't money wasted. The device I was attempting to identify was (quick fanfare) an ADM6315-31D3RTRL which is a 3.08 Volt MCU supervisor with manual reset, just as I had suspected! It is pin compatible with the STM811 and luckily for me, the controller I have doesn't seem too bothered about having a sub in it's place.

The Authors of the book also have a great website, full of all sorts of useful information (link below).

I guess this post seems like a bit of an advert, and it is kind of, not that I benefit in any way, but this book is just too handy not to sing about it, especially given how difficult the information is to find when you need it quickly.

So there we go, issue resolved, and I now know where to look first next time ;)

Happy New Year to everyone!

Link to the free SMD code book site:
The SMD Code Book

Link to the Turuta site:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have an odd problem in that I cannot find any mention of this device's code anywhere on the web despite hours on the search engines and manufacturers sites. I'm hopeful that someone here will recognise this and save my google finger from further strain...

Here's what I have so far...

I have, what I reckon, is either an MCU supervisor/ reset, or a Voltage level detector IC in a SOT-143 package (tiny 4 pin thing with one fat leg at pin 1).

The markings on it are "MFG" (on top of the device), and 309 (on bottom of device).

I'm leaning more towards an MCU reset ic with possibly a trip threshold at 3V, and also with either a capacitor pin or perhaps a manual reset pin.

I need to identify it, so that it can either be replaced or a suitable substitute chosen.

The pin out, I think is this:

Pin 1 = Vss (0V)
Pin 2 = Output (Active High, but in my case, stuck Low)
Pin 3 = Manual /Rst
Pin 4 = Vcc (3.2V)

There's no chance of a service manual or schematic either, as this is fitted in a bespoke process controller, and the manufacturer long since went out of business.
In fact, I very much doubt that a service manual was even produced for this.

Of course, everything I mention here is purely an educated guess based on what I see and have metered, I could be totally off base.

rgds

I is quite a challenge to find parts like that because they can only fit so many numbers on the package, it could be a MFG date too. :(

-Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back