Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Combinational logic circuit??

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFDIXON

i have a project that id like to do, its called "Date of birth design" basically i have to design a circuit that will display my date of birth on a Seven segment display in sequential order, with the dashes also. didnt know if anyone could help me out?? 07-17-88 Thanks Alot!!

What do you mean "sequential order"? Is this a moving display or static? Is your birthdate the only one it will ever display?

yes my birthday will be the only one, sequential order: when i run the simulation, i hit a button on the keyboard it lights up

Well... hmmm... there's probably at least a few ways to do this. Maybe break down the problem...

As a start, it might help to write up a logic table showing the state of each segment for each digit in your bday.

You're going to need some kind of periodic pulse -- a clock signal. And some kind of circuit will have to use that to determine which digit to display...

Michael
PS: what ideas have you come up with so far??

Last edited:
I am not sure what you mean by sequential order. The first 2 digits are 07. Does it mean you want to start at 00 and count from 01....07. or do you just want to display 07 etc. If you only want to display the 07 and the other pairs as shown, it won't take and logic. If you want the pairs of digits to count then it will take either a microprocessor, or some decade counters and some 7 segment decoder drivers.

I assume he means...

Using a SINGLE 7-segment display....

display 0 then display 7 then "-" then 1 then 7 then "-" then 8 then 8.

???

Michael

Last edited:
It is very easy to do with a microcontroller. If you chose a microcontroller that can have an internal clock, all that you need is a power source, the microcontroller, the 7 segment display and 7 resistors.

If you can do that, and ask here nicely, you might even get someone to programme if for you, as it isn't difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back