Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit Isolation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighty

Hi All

I've got a circuit that has a 12V output from a ULN2803A for driving a relay, how ever I would like to opto couple it for extra safety.

Could you please advise if this circuit will work?

The optocoupler I thought of using is a TLP521-1, which has a input voltage 1.15V, probably not the best? wanting to use a DIP4 package for a easier board.

Thanks

Attachments

• Driver.jpg
    Driver.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 968
No need to isolate it further. The relay itself provides the isolation.

An optocoupler would be unnecessarily redundant.

Add a <~10K resistor between base and emitter ; the optocoupler should be fine.

Obviously a belt + suspenders type.

Won't work as drawn.

ULN2803 is open collector. You need to hook resistor to +V and cathode to ULN2803 output.

No need to isolate it further. The relay itself provides the isolation.

An optocoupler would be unnecessarily redundant.

I do realise that, just thought I would make it "safer" but seem to be too much of a problem

Obviously a belt + suspenders type.

:confused:

Won't work as drawn.

ULN2803 is open collector. You need to hook resistor to +V and cathode to ULN2803 output.

Like this? (attached)

Attachments

• Driver.jpg
    Driver.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 731
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back