Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Christmas Star project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't. For whatever reason, JLC doesn't offer any USB connectors in the assembly service. Type C will be next to impossible to solder by hand.

Buy the wall warts without cables and buy separate USB A-B cables separately.

SmartSelect_20200905-081920_Firefox.jpg

found a smt for the usb-b connector but planning on soldering myself on back. Same componet I have prichased from Mouser. Part# 571-1734035-1
used Samacsys footprint and found same on LCSC pART#c428483
Slightly cheaper at Mouser but shipping etc. Will purchase from LCSC
now need to order wall warts and cords. Thanks for the tip on MOMOPRICE.
One issue I have is the little X's to indicate errors. Need to move some components away from board outline?

STUPID STUPID STUPID!
I just discovered I marked the via and trace as GRD and not GND.
ran error check and zero errors
I found that placing the copper pour around the star in a square instead of tracing the board outline it pours ONLY the board outline boarder.
Little mistakes causes one to lose hair etc. LOL

A bit late now, since you've found the error, but 'X marks the spot' where the DRC error is.
The box at the lower left, with the yellow background, tells you what the error is and the box above that gives you info.
You can see your GND & GRD conflict on the screenshot.

Hence my advice to use proper ground symbols in your schematic.

When using net labels, it can be helpful to create them once, then copy and paste them where you need them. This avoids typos.

Have you noticed if you zoom in, the pads and traces show the net names?

Screenshot_20200905-142645_Edge.jpg

yes I zoom almost always.
I used proper sysbols on my schematic but when I placed the via I typed in the wrong net.

it looks like its done? but what is with the red X's but they are checked off?
I for one am becoming a fan of this Easyeda program.
Hopefully everybody reading this thread will have learned something.
Screenshot (3).png

Move the 'PCB Tools' box and read the text behind it.

The red Xs in the nets category means those parts of those nets are not complete. Some trace is missing.

I used proper sysbols on my schematic but when I placed the via I typed in the wrong net.

I don't know what you're doing, but if you're manually placing and naming vias, you are making extra work for yourself and creating a huge potential for errors.

Placing vias should be automatic. The run a trace:

Select the top or bottom layer of the starting point.

Select the trace tool. Click on the starting point. Move the mouse and click where you want to make a bend. Where you want to switch layers, click at that point, and change layers in the layer menu. Continue the process. Where you want to change layers again, click at the point, then change layers in the layer menu. When you do this the vias are automatically placed.

If you want to change layers of a segment of an existing track, double click to highlight just that segment and change the layer at the top of the properties panel on the right.

Short of stitching layers together for heat-sinking (no, you don't need to do this anywhere on this board), I have never had to manually add vias. Let the software do its job and things will work much better.

It may be worth mentioning here.....

I don't know what effect MrDEB is going for, but JLC's "basic" LEDs are water clear as opposed to diffused. Water clear LEDs emit a cone of light, while diffused LEDs have a frosted lens that lights up the body more.

<< diffused water clear >>
FLVRU5XG5W7R3LK.MEDIUM.jpg

want a subdued light but will settle for what ever they mount on board.
Mean while back at the ranch, "the lone ranger is racking his balls"
boy can I really screw up a wet dream. I have inadvertently had some traces highlighted and moved sait items.
I had only 3 unconnected components and now have 11.
A learning experience for sure. From now on will lock all then edit as I go.

When I want certain things in certain places, I position them and lock them in place. Then I run traces. I have a tendency to inadvertently move things otherwise. I also usually position the board outline symmetrically around (0, 0).

JLC probably has diffused LEDs in the extended list. For an extra $6 total, you should be able to find diffused. I don't think the water clear will look bad....more like stars in the sky.

There's really no reason to have the LEDs at weird angles. They'll appear as a point of light.

been moving parts to board outline and finding lots of unconnected grounds etc, like parts moved?
checking ALL the components and locking each trace etc. as I go.
must have mistakenly moved parts but finding lots of errors.
trying post #135

It's kind of incredible that you are still futzing with this after a month on the easiest-to-layout board ever.

yea I know. I would have ordered boards by now if using diptrace
a new program takes time

I did just have this thought, which I mentioned before, on why you suddenly had many DRC errors....

If you move any through-hole parts, which include vias as well as components, you must press (SHIFT) B to rebuild copper areas. If you saw something like the picture below, that was the problem. The "holes" in the ground plane don't automatically move when you move a component,

EasyEDA Rebuild.jpg

Ah yes hat just may be the problem. Will try that. All my led grounds are not connect anymore correctly.
Will give it a try this morning.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back