Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chip whoe's

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCDSparks

Hello all, noob here, I am head of electrical at a copper foundry and have been asked to try to revive an old coiler counting project that was abandoned quite some time ago. I have been able to get it powered up and one side I have actually been able to use! to my surprise from being out in the weather for years.
The circuit is based around 3 different chips and my electronics is a bit rusty so to say, the main chip is a ICM7217IJI common cathode 4-digit, 7-segment LED driver with programmable up/down counter. The other two are a LM339 and a CD4011. I am not quite sure as to how they work together, but I had the LM339's and the CD4011's in the shop,(frequently replaced on other motor drive boards). I have also tested and replaced the diose that were bad and a few asst resistors along with two of the LM317T voltage regulators.
I am believeing the the non working side is associated with the ICM since there are two of them one for each side. Although the display does lite up and the thumb wheel preset number does show correctly when changed on the thumbwheel and the reset is pushed, except it doesn't see the proximity switch when activated, yet the little led in the proximity switch lites when I pass metal in front of it with-in 1.5mm . I thought I checked all components and coltage readings are the same between both TB's (sorry Terminal strips 1 & 2 repectively). There are two boards in there one stacked over the other with crude hard rubber stand offs.
I have looked for this ICM7217IJI and have been told it was obsolete since 2000 but there has to be some some where I would think??? I have found surplus chips close but the are common anode not common cathode versions yet there pin-out's are identical with the exception to physical location. Could I just make a sort of adapter or unsolder the chip socket and use short jumper wires soldered in place with the correct locations matching the existing circuit layout??? OR is the problem not with the chip and I am over looking something simple.???????? Many thanks for you help on this if I cannot get it to work will have to find newer control, (Red Lion or Reddington perhaps) but much more involed and $$$ that way
Thanks Everyone
JCD
P.S. I will try to scan both boards and both sides ASAP and get them posted next time I shut that particular coiler down.

Honestly, it will be far, far easier to start from scratch, then to try to find a obsolete chip, or do a work-around with a equivalent.
I honestly think that if you list the specific useage, and perameters of what this box was originally meant to do, (eg.count the number of turns a shaft makes, then stop at a preset number) you will probibly get a far easier to make schematic from the guys here.
We,llneed to know what type of sensor or input device the unit used as well .

Last edited:
Ok, I forgot...for some strange reason I cannot post shortcuts. If you google counter with preset schematic, you will probibly found what I found. I also found several inexpensive Omron modules that will do what you want to do (I think) that include a keyboard and display on the fron of the unit.

Thank you bigkim100 for bringing my thoughts out of the darkness. To think I already have several Omron products in use already. I have looked at the Red Lion controls but none fit. I also went to the Omron site that you had suggested( I should have thought of it) yet I was so mind set on fixing and duplicating what I have now in operation.
I did find that the Omron H8GN shouold be suitable with a few tweaks. I should have also mentioned that the couter already in service has a anunciator output of 1.75A@ 120Vac used to drive a edwards sirew to let the operator know which coiler set is done. FYI there are two monitored coilers per unit so I would like to have one anunciator per double coiler unit
In the mean time I shall contact Omron to see if it meets our needs or if they have other options to suit.
Thank you

Again, if you list all the perameters of what the original circuit did, as well as the inputtype, someone may have an idea for a schematic.
Lets start from scratch, forget about what it did, let us know what it needs to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back