Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Am I driving this chip with too much voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacdrag

I'm running some small Amp boards with a 12 V wall adaptor. My multimeter has it outputting 12.38 V. The datasheet for the chip on the board has operating voltage 4V-12V with an absolute maximum rating of 15 V. I've tested it for an hour or so with no problems but am wondering whether I'm pushing the envelope. Am I in danger of releasing some "magic smoke," or in general, are these kind of setups OK?

Do you have a link to the amp?

Mike.
Here is the datasheet for the chip:

Here is the link to the actual product:

Though you exceed the recommended voltage by about 5% (which is not much) you are still a long way from the absolute maximum rating. I think it will be fine.

1653973714135.png

The datasheet of the NJM386 Japanese copy of the American LM386 does not show it with a 12V supply.
The American datasheet shows it heating with 0.8W with a 12V supply when the ambient is air conditioned which will overheat the "DIP8" IC that is rated with 0.7W maximum allowed heating.

It produces almost the same 0,5W of maximum undistorted output with a 9V supply as the 0.6W output with a 12V supply. Use a 9V supply instead.

Attachments

• NJM386.png
    NJM386.png
    171.9 KB · Views: 186
The datasheet of the NJM386 Japanese copy of the American LM386 does not show it with a 12V supply.
The American datasheet shows it heating with 0.8W with a 12V supply when the ambient is air conditioned which will overheat the "DIP8" IC that is rated with 0.7W maximum allowed heating.

It produces almost the same 0,5W of maximum undistorted output with a 9V supply as the 0.6W output with a 12V supply. Use a 9V supply instead.
Good idea - better not to release any "magic smoke." :)

Ty

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back