Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chinese VAT Refund on PCBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't aware China had VAT?, but if they did they probably shouldn't be charging it to you - certainly in the UK/EU if you export to a non-EU country you don't add VAT to the price.

They do indeed, 17%. What's happening is the PCBA supplier is based in China so they're buying from the likes of lcsc and paying VAT. Then the stuff gets exported and I pay VAT again.

There's a means to reclaim the VAT (the Chinese company must do it) but it is a world I'm not familiar with. It could be the supplier is and they're just keeping it afterwards - I wouldn't put it past them!

Nope, but I know they're paying it on the parts they order in.

Chinese VAT != UK/EC VAT

17% is out of date. Currently 9 to 13% with a thick book of rules to decide exact value.
China has export taxes. I doubt anyone is pocketing anything in China. There is virtually no cash in China and all transactions are watched by a big group of hawks.

What did the UK customs charge you for the import VAT on the PCBAs?

17% is out of date. Currently 9 to 13% with a thick book of rules to decide exact value.
China has export taxes. I doubt anyone is pocketing anything in China. There is virtually no cash in China and all transactions are watched by a big group of hawks.

What did the UK customs charge you for the import VAT on the PCBAs?

UK VAT is 20%, plus a fee for collecting the money on imports (usually about £10, so no big deal on a large order). For orders under £20/30 or so it's excempt (or at least usually 'sneaks' through).

Nope, but I know they're paying it on the parts they order in.

Chinese VAT != UK/EC VAT

So you're only assuming they aren't passing any possible VAT savings on to you? - but as it's not documented you obviously don't have a prayer - and presumably you accepted their price, so what's the issue?.

It's 17% internally but a Chinese company can claim back 9-17% (usually not 17%!) if exporting. The PCBA says they don't bother as it's too much hassle.

Who said I had a problem? Perhaps I'm curious!
You said you had a problem when you created this thread.
It just seems a bit crybaby. They board company offered you a price, you accepted, you got your boards, the board company paid all of the VAT taxes to get parts and raw materials plus export taxes to send and now you essentially accuse someone of pocketing your money.

It could be the supplier is and they're just keeping it afterwards - I wouldn't put it past them!

Funny and sad At the same time.

I've always found stuff from China incredibly cheap. They are in competition with each other and the taxes they pay just add to the price. If they gave you a refund of their VAT then you will simply pay more. I just don't understand your problem.

Mike.

Slightly another China issue. I last night's Biden-Trump debate Trump said China was paying the tariffs he imposed. Not exactly a quote, but Biden said it's the US importers and customers that pay. Trump said "NO!". I just received an order from DIGIKEY. There, in the itemized invoice was a "Tariff" of $0.85.

Slightly another China issue. I last night's Biden-Trump debate Trump said China was paying the tariffs he imposed. Not exactly a quote, but Biden said it's the US importers and customers that pay. Trump said "NO!". I just received an order from DIGIKEY. There, in the itemized invoice was a "Tariff" of $0.85.

Well Trump's just a complete idiot, must be the worst President you've ever had, not surprising he doesn't understand what his own tariff is - the scariest thing is I can see him getting re-elected again?.

What with Trump and Boris we're all in a poor way :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back