Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chinese crap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was amazed how long it took the FTC to be identified, but I tend to agree that having a government agency solely responsibly for safety is an oxymoron. People have to be responsible for themselves, if you try to save a few too many pennies you have to take responsibility for your actions. Mostly don't do with those folks again, and spread the word. Consumer Reports comes to mind.

Couple of other points that haven't been mentioned.

19th century America had a rep for producing junk. This is where the concept of old world craftsmanship came in. We got over it. BTW, as with American cars during the late 70's, we still occasionally produce junk. It take something like Japanese quality to shake us out of apathy sometimes.

20th century post war Japan had a rep for producing junk. My Dad commented on many of the exports still having the beer can logos on the inside of the cheap toys they were cranking out. They got over it, and are known for quality.

China is new to the free enterprise game, and they have a rep for producing junk. I strongly suspect that in time they will get over it.

I remember a story about a Chinese refrigerator manufacturer (under the communist preglobalization regime) making refrigerators. These refrigerators cost several years income for a typical Chinese family, and over half of them left the factory nonfunctional. The Chinese government solution to the problem? They executed the plant manager. From what I heard it had a salutary effect on quality.

19th century America had a rep for producing junk. This is where the concept of old world craftsmanship came in. We got over it. BTW, as with American cars during the late 70's, we still occasionally produce junk. It take something like Japanese quality to shake us out of apathy sometimes.

20th century post war Japan had a rep for producing junk. My Dad commented on many of the exports still having the beer can logos on the inside of the cheap toys they were cranking out. They got over it, and are known for quality.

Years ago, maybe '86 or '87 I attended an instrumentation seminar and John Fluke Jr. was a keynote speaker. John Fluke is the son and CEO of the Fluke Corporation founded by his father John Fluke Sr. He talked about several things related to American Manufacturing and a story his father told frequently. During WWII the US finally occupied Japanese cities at a cost of tens of thousands of American lives. However, the Japanese had marched into the streets of Detroit and never fired a single shot.

Initially the Japanese produced inferior electronics junk. I remember those first six transistor AM radios of the early '60s. All of that changed as Japan developed and implemented quality manufacturing processes that allowed them to not just compete but dominate a world market place.

Ron

@ Hans

How to get the chicken?

Here's how to do it like it's done in Germany: Go cross country with your car and run over a chicken. Then stop at the nearest farm and show the chicken to the farmer, explaining him that you want to pay for it. The farmer will reply: "That can't possibly be a chicken of mine. We don't keep those flat chicken."

Similar to when I lived in Italy but the recipe for chicken soup began with going out and stealing a chicken.

Hans, thanks for sharing that. I dig a few feet down around here and I have clay, or I guess I could buy some. I'll need to find a local chicken farm to get a chicken as the store bought ones are sans feathers. Damn interesting and something I will try.

Americans who have never lived beyond the borders haven't a clue what it is like to walk out to the chicken truck and buy a few chickens right out of their cages. You pick your clucking chicken and the chicken guy wrings their necks and hands them to you. You want fresh? That is fresh.

Ron

@ Hans

You pick your clucking chicken and the chicken guy wrings their necks and hands them to you. You want fresh? That is fresh.

Ron

What a barbaric way!

I prefer to shoot them with my self propelled (155mm) howitzer. :D

The result is called "gai raboed" in Thailand. :) (to be served with curry rice)

Regards

Hans

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back