Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The Chinese Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
The EPA works to protect our environment but the reality is that they put US factory workers out of jobs and allowed the problems to shift to China. Their air pollution has gotten so bad it is now impacting us.

Chinese factories have poisoned a sizable percentage of its farmland, cadmium is often mentioned. 8 million acres are unsuitable for growing food for human consumption. What do you do with all that tainted food, you either feed it to animals or sneak it back into the food supply. Given that 1/2 the rice in one major city was unsafe it seems likely that it is more profitable to do the sneaky thing. I am guessing that feeding tainted food to animals destined for the food supply is even worse because they concentrate the contaminants. To offset this China is looking to the Ukraine.

One has to wonder what the Chinese people make of all this. I only have a sample of one. This person doubted the accuracy of the reports. It could be they like their jobs and their life style and are willing to look the other way. They were thinking about quitting their job and going into business for themselves.

I agree with your assessment of the Chinese citizen response. I have seen it too. That is just one problem with having media tightly controlled by the central government. The citizens may say they know it is controlled and slanted, but in the end, it is all they are exposed to, and they believe it.

As for our EPA, like all agencies, the desire for control soon overshadows their original design. It has been 40+ years since the Cuyahoga River last caught fire (1969). Its clean-up was well overdue. But today's efforts by the EPA seem to be more destructive than constructive. Even water is regulated. Fortunately, for at least a short time, we can still use lead in our solder.

John

The EPA works to protect our environment but the reality is that they put US factory workers out of jobs and allowed the problems to shift to China. Their air pollution has gotten so bad it is now impacting us.

Chinese factories have poisoned a sizable percentage of its farmland, cadmium is often mentioned. 8 million acres are unsuitable for growing food for human consumption. What do you do with all that tainted food, you either feed it to animals or sneak it back into the food supply. Given that 1/2 the rice in one major city was unsafe it seems likely that it is more profitable to do the sneaky thing. I am guessing that feeding tainted food to animals destined for the food supply is even worse because they concentrate the contaminants. To offset this China is looking to the Ukraine.

One has to wonder what the Chinese people make of all this. I only have a sample of one. This person doubted the accuracy of the reports. It could be they like their jobs and their life style and are willing to look the other way. They were thinking about quitting their job and going into business for themselves.

Not to mention "White Honey" most people don't know it is based with "milk" and who knows what and where it's from?

https://www.businessweek.com/articl...the-largest-food-fraud-in-u-dot-s-dot-history

As for our EPA, like all agencies, the desire for control soon overshadows their original design. It has been 40+ years since the Cuyahoga River last caught fire (1969). Its clean-up was well overdue. But today's efforts by the EPA seem to be more destructive than constructive.

Seems they were already making things up 40 years ago. They pretty much lied and grossly over exaggerated the realistic dangers of asbestos. Heck the couldn't even allow the public to know that there is more than one form of it or that only one form of it is the potentially dangerous one.

https://spiderjohnson.com/asbestos.html

It's sort of like PCB oils. They still have everyone running scared of it and it has not been used in production of anything for 40+ years either. Plus what it was used in was not nearly as widespread as we were lead to believe. Nore is it that difficult to remediate and dispose of.

Remember last year or in 2012 when China was exporting tainted pet food products to the US that caused deaths to numerous American pets? I always read the packaging to assure my pet's food/treats are USA produced. Then again, I owned a truck, made in St. Louis, Missouri that turned out to be one complete piece of garbage from bumper-to-bumper! It spent more time in the service shop than it did on the road... I gave up on it after 2 years of grief when the final straw was a cracked engine block!

My IA (aircraft repair inspector) once suggested to me that clicker-type torque wrenches were not as accurate as the dial type, even though the FAA allows them. Two years ago, he celebrated his 100th birthday. There was not an airplane in SW Minnesota that didn't have his fingerprints on it before he retired at 80+ years. We trusted him with our lives.

For your next wrench, particularly for low values, I suggest a good dial type.

John

If you can't get a dial, get a beam version. The problem with the clickers is that depending on the speed with which you torque the item, you can change how much torque is applied. That is most important for small fasteners and spark plugs. With high torque items, I find it hard to hold the handle steady enough, so even though I have a dial version, I would consider a clicker.

Craftsman has a reasonably priced beam version, even without the typical discount, don't know where it is made: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/shc-932999?seid=srese1&gclid=CJ-0mPPS6rsCFQISMwodOUQAiw As I am sure you know, the Craftsman tool warranty is hard to beat. My local Sears even upgraded my free replacement on a 1/4" ratchet driver.

John

I was mostly going to use it to torque the heads on small engines. Thinking the current one is about 150 inch lbs. I have a 1/2 clicker and 1/4 beam but can't locate them. I was orginally just going to get the one for $40 but it was a dud. Budget has gone up to $100 if needed but less would be better.

Going to get a CDI/Snap on dial type 0-300 inch lbs. Just could not get myself to buy junk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back