Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cheap speech synthesizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
flemmard said:
Hi all,
Can anyone suggest me a cheap speech synthesizer for my PIC project?
Thanks !

Many years ago the SPO256 chip would have been ideal - but now is obsolete and only occasionally found on ebay now.

There is an interesting project to re-create that chip using a pic micro at:
**broken link removed**
Although the speech quality is not as good as the original.

A better commercial version is the "Speakjet" which also uses a pic micro - but it is not so cheap.

Your other alternative is to use an addressable record/playback chip and they vary in price depending on the amount of playback time.

Modifying a cheap mp3 player is also a possibility if you can manage to control it somehow.

picasm said:
Many years ago the SPO256 chip would have been ideal - but now is obsolete and only occasionally found on ebay now.

There is an interesting project to re-create that chip using a pic micro at:
**broken link removed**
Although the speech quality is not as good as the original.

A better commercial version is the "Speakjet" which also uses a pic micro - but it is not so cheap.

Your other alternative is to use an addressable record/playback chip and they vary in price depending on the amount of playback time.

Modifying a cheap mp3 player is also a possibility if you can manage to control it somehow.

Hi thanks for your reply. btw , can you please tell me how do i program my voice into record/playback chip? part no for that?

Thanks again

flemmard said:
Hi thanks for your reply. btw , can you please tell me how do i program my voice into record/playback chip? part no for that?
Thanks again

There are many voice record/playback chips to choose from, a cheap 20 second playback chip is the Winbond ISD1420. Datasheet is at:
https://www.winbond-usa.com/products/isd_products/chipcorder/datasheets/1400/ISD1400.pdf

You need to build the circuit as shown in the datasheet and record your voice onto it directly with a microphone.

If you search on google you will probably find some projects using that chip.

There may be other better chips available cheaply now - perhaps someone else may suggest some.

picasm said:
There are many voice record/playback chips to choose from, a cheap 20 second playback chip is the Winbond ISD1420. Datasheet is at:
http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/isd_products/chipcorder/datasheets/1400/ISD1400.pdf

You need to build the circuit as shown in the datasheet and record your voice onto it directly with a microphone.

There may be other better chips available cheaply now - perhaps someone else may suggest some.

hi,
While looking at something else came across this, may help.
http://mdubuc.freeshell.org/Robotics/Tips.html#isd4003

viffer said:
You could do worse than something like this?

**broken link removed**
Hi and welcome to the forum, thank you for the suggestion but it is a bit expensive, the origional poster wanted something cheap.

Hero999 said:
Hi and welcome to the forum, thank you for the suggestion but it is a bit expensive, the origional poster wanted something cheap.

But looks like fun though! :D

I've still got an SPO256 'somewhere', I can't say I was ever overly impressed with it - I used it on a 6502 based machine.

picasm said:
https://www.winbond-usa.com/products/isd_products/chipcorder/datasheets/1400/ISD1400.pdf

Hi,
I searched a lot for this chip to buy one for me.But i couldnt get it anywhere.Is there anyother part or manufacturer doing the same thing?
Thanks

flemmard said:
Hi,
I searched a lot for this chip to buy one for me.But i couldnt get it anywhere.Is there anyother part or manufacturer doing the same thing?
Thanks

hi,
Maplin's stock some speech processors.

The WTS701 at £24.99 Code no: N86BT plus other ic's.
Checked ther Stock!,,, no longer stocked,, so much for their Catalog!.

EDIT: They have this device.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
In case anyone is still looking, I listed a new SP0256 on Ebay last night. Do a search for "SP0256" and you'll find it.

Last edited:
It's sad that since I've played with the SP0256 in the late 80's not much work has been done in this area. Not unless you have bottomless pockets. I don't know if no one has come up with a better way, loss of interests, or what.

mrmonteith said:
It's sad that since I've played with the SP0256 in the late 80's not much work has been done in this area. Not unless you have bottomless pockets. I don't know if no one has come up with a better way, loss of interests, or what.

Companies only manufacture chips if there's a market for them, the SP0256 never really found a market, so it was dropped - and as no market has appeared since, nothing else has really happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back