Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging lithium-ion batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

hey all back to the battery stuff. I have a lithium-ion battery which is 3.7v @ 1000mAh.

Any thoughts on how to charge it? Some links perhaps?

I read some stuff but not sure. What is this stuff about cells?
How do i know how many cells are in the battery if its a square solid? Or is that just 1? lol

I was looking at :
**broken link removed**

would that be good enough?

hey all back to the battery stuff. I have a lithium-ion battery which is 3.7v @ 1000mAh.

Any thoughts on how to charge it? Some links perhaps?

I read some stuff but not sure. What is this stuff about cells?
How do i know how many cells are in the battery if its a square solid? Or is that just 1? lol

I was looking at :
**broken link removed**

would that be good enough?

The basic Li-ion battery chemistry has a single cell nominal voltage of 3.7vdc, therefore in your case you have a single cell. Basically they have a charge method of using a constant current (amount depends on cell MA rating) followed by using a constant voltage once it approaches 4.2 volts. It's important not to overcharge as fire is a real possibility. Also a cell can suffer permanent damage if over discharged, so most items using these kinds of batteries have a auto-turn off when cell reaches around 3 volts or so.
Lots of literature out on these cells and their proper use. Many devices designed to utilize these type cells have a special charger chip embedded into the device.

I found this nice info:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/12/AN10338_1.pdf

Im sure i can apply it to a PIC with out to much work :D

Also:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/12/51626a.pdf

which uses a MCP73833 = Stand-Alone Linear Li-Ion / Li-Polymer Charge Management Controller

And its $20 for: MCP73833 Li-Ion Battery Charger Evaluation Board (00117)
and $1.21 for the: MCP73833

Just noticed the packages available ... too small for me :( but the upside is "MCP73861" its a SOIC and does the same job!(from what i can see)

Last edited:
You need a sense circuit to monitor the current flowing into the battery...set the cut off threshold to a value and then arrange some sort of disconnect...could be a relay or you could use a transistor that is placed in the +ve line to the battery which is turned off when the cell is full....

You need a sense circuit to monitor the current flowing into the battery...set the cut off threshold to a value and then arrange some sort of disconnect...could be a relay or you could use a transistor that is placed in the +ve line to the battery which is turned off when the cell is full....

can u help to sketch out ?:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back