Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging circuits...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleon

Hi, I am new to this forum.

Am currently looking at how rechargeable batteries are being charged. Could anyone provide any links where I can find more help on such a topic? I am currently looking at a capacitive circuit to charge up a lithium ion battery...

Thanks in advance.

Appleon :D

**broken link removed**

Maxim have a whole load of application notes complete with circuit diagrams for Li-ion battery chargers, battery managers and combined power-supplies for portable equipment, well worth a look

I am currently looking at a capacitive circuit to charge up a lithium ion battery...

Thanks in advance.

Appleon

What do you mean by that ?

Lion batteries need to be charged in such a way that the current is held constant whilst the charge voltage doesnt rise too abruptly......

Battery voltages below 2.9v/cell require trickle charging at the 0.1C rate until they reach 3.0v/cell when the charge rate may be increased....

A simple circuit based on an LM317 with current limiting circuitry can be used.........

What size packs/cells are you charging ?

Ive never tried charging Li Ion batteries but have tried for nimh and nicd. Like tansis suggested, MAXIM-IC has plenty of information and controller chips used for charging, i used the max713-712 for nimh/nicd and wasnt too hard to make, plenty of diretions and schematics on their datasheets. Also, i believe texasinstruments has some charging chips as does maxim along with fuel guages and such for batteries (i think..??).

Ivan C.

Thanks...

Thanks for the reference, I will look into it further to see what chips are suitable.

I am actually looking at ways of charging up cells via non-conventional means like solar energy conversion and movement-generated power. In this case, I am actually looking at circuits which allows a small current to charge up devices such as rechargeable batteries. I understand that the power generated from such means might not be really significant for simple circuits, hence a need to find out how conventional means work before I can proceed further.

Appleon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back