Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging Circuit Schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaBuzz4UA

I am building charging system for 12v tool batters ( drills, lights, etc. ). I found a 12v a/c adapter and I cut the end off the but bullet connectors that hook up to a wire with a shielded female spade connector. The shade fits the 12v battery. My question is - is there a way to design a circuit that will let me know when its charged, like with a red and green light. Any help or schematic whould me greatly appreciated.:confused::confused:

Tool batteries might use one of four different kinds of cells, Lead-Acid, Nickel-Cadmium, Nickel-Metal-Hydride, or Li-Ion. The most common is Nickel Cadmium, but the newest ones are using Li-Ion. In any case, each type of battery must be charged in a different way, and some of them are not simple. For this reason, a special charging controller IC is usually used to make a charger, and it is this IC that usually also has LED outputs to indicate what is going on. Here is more detail:

Batteries in a Portable World. A handbook on rechargeable batteries for non-engineers

Thank you for that info. I would have never found that site and it is what I was looking for. All the info I need is right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back