Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging a 3.1V lithium ion cell battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfline

Hello,

I am trying to charge a 3.1V lithium ion rechargeable battery (The Sekio MS621FE-FL11E). Most information I have found on charging lithium ion batteries talk about charging it to 4.1 to 4.2 Volts in one of the charge cycles. I believe this is for batteries that have nominal voltage of 3.7 Volts? In my situation I'm using a 3.1V battery so certainly I don't want to charge it to 4.2 volts? Are there any battery charger IC's for 3.1V lithium ion batteries?? Or circuit schematics?

Thanks,

Surfline

You need to charge it to 4.2V otherwise it wouldn't fully charge.

Limit the current to 0.5C, charge until the voltage reaches 4.2V, disconnect when the current drops below 0.1C.

Hello,

I am trying to charge a 3.1V lithium ion rechargeable battery (The Sekio MS621FE-FL11E). Most information I have found on charging lithium ion batteries talk about charging it to 4.1 to 4.2 Volts in one of the charge cycles. I believe this is for batteries that have nominal voltage of 3.7 Volts? In my situation I'm using a 3.1V battery so certainly I don't want to charge it to 4.2 volts? Are there any battery charger IC's for 3.1V lithium ion batteries?? Or circuit schematics?

Thanks,

Surfline
Do you have a sped sheet for the battery? I never heard of a 3.1V Li battery.

EDIT TO ADD: The ads for the battery do call it a "3.1V rechargeable Li battery". Data sheet:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/08/321180.pdf.

Last edited:
It looks fairly simple, just connect to a 3.3V regulated supply via a suitable series resistor, see data sheet.

What are you going to power using these tiny cells? They're designed for very low current applications.

Looking at that data sheet then I am interested in what it shows.
Here is the specs bit

So what are they saying , on the first line that battery has a normal voltage of 3Volts.
An ability to supply (capacity of) 1milliAmp per second for 1 hour .
Discharge it at 10 micro Amps per second generally and maximum 100 microAmps ?
Charge it at 10 microAmps/sec with a constant voltage of 3.1Volts and regulate the charge current with a resistor to drop it to 10microAmps/sec.
If discharged to 80% of its nominal voltage (which is 3.1V so at 2.8Vrecharge it ) then recharged it will last for 1000 cycles.
If discharged to 0V then recharged you will only get 100 cycles out of it.

Am I reading this right?

Attachments

• 3Vspecs.jpg
    3Vspecs.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 630
Last edited:
It is a tiny useless little battery. It is completely different to a normal lithium rechargeable battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back