Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charger for weird battery pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimbear

I have a weird NiCad battery pack made up of 8- 1.2v 800ma AA batteries soldered together.
What power supply will I need to charge this correctly, and at what voltage??
If there is a EBay charger you can point me to, I would appreciate it.....something along the lines of:

Thanks a lot,
Kim

Last edited:
I would say a 80ma capable charger that puts out between 10.4V and 11.2V should work.

You need at least 1.5V per cell, so 12V minimum for an eight-cell pack.
You only really need a dedicated charger if you must fast-charge them, as then the cutoff at full charge is critical.

If you do not need fast charge, just using 1/10th the MAH rating (so 80mA) as a charge current and leave it on for 14 - 16 hours minimum.
Leaving them on for a few hours longer is fine, it helps condition the cells.

The voltage in that case can be anything above the minimum, so eg. a 15V or 16V source such as a laptop charger.
Add a resistor so the current is no more than 80mA with 12V on the battery pack.
eg. with a 15V supply so 12V across the resistor, 3 / 0.080 = 37.5

A 39 ohm or two 75 ohm in parallel would be OK, just make sure the resistor has a decent power rating.

Edit:
Or if you want an off-the-shelf unit, one such as these would work:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I have a weird NiCad battery pack made up of 8- 1.2v 800ma AA batteries soldered together.

Not at all weird, 9.6V (8 cells) is a perfectly normal and very common battery pack - often used as the 8 cell battery cases were used to give 12V with non-rechargeable cells (for actual 12V with NiCd's you used 10 cells).

Here's a charger that has adjustable current, and does a wide range of cell numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back