Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Change user ranks - fun :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any problem with either new or old ones. 8):)

ElectroMaster said:
Okay, I did overlook the fact that new comers would look at peoples rank and associate it with a skill level. The ranks are intended to be a bit of fun so I have once again revised them:

Electro Tech Member 0-10
Electro Tech Wannabe 11-50
Electro Tech Zealot 51-100
Electro Tech Enthusiast 101-200
Electro Tech Addict 201-500
Electro Tech Junkie 501+

I will wait for a few people's opinions before I update the site. Please post your feedback about the new ranks.
So the member who posts 12 times is a wannabe. What does he wannabe? :roll:

Well i have always found these variouse IRC expressions anoying like wannabe, n00b and others. But the one i hate the absolute moast is LOL!!

these names are for fun & we all need some fun in our lives :) a quick read of the posts soon sorts out the skill level. i for one come here to learn and pick up tips and ideas and are in no way embarrased by being called a newbie or whatever. keep up the good work, i am always learning.
cobow :)

but, i think these ranks are funny, LOL(ha ha ha)
but here is something i think we need.
some symbols(like omega, beta, micro etc), because when i write a meaasge i have to write ohm instead of the letter. they could be added in the righe part of the message post like the emotions.
dont you think tis could be useful?

when your labeled a webmaster, are you truly a Master of the Internet :? :? :?:

having the symbols like bogdanfirst had suggested would be great. they could be located with the emoticons. It would make things alot easier.

pebe said:
No. It's just meaningless.

Ah, there is the key word. They are meaningless, and should be considered that way. The mean nothing on how well you know electronics. They are just there and should be ignored by anyone who is offended by them.

herbymcduff said:
pebe said:

Ah, there is the key word. They are meaningless, and should be considered that way. The mean nothing on how well you know electronics. They are just there and should be ignored by anyone who is offended by them.
I understood this purported to be a serious forum. So iIf you agree these name tags are meaningless they might just as well NOT be there!

pebe said:
herbymcduff said:
pebe said:

I understood this purported to be a serious forum. So iIf you agree these name tags are meaningless they might just as well NOT be there!

i think ranking members based on the number of posts has the obvious advantage of encouraging and moralising them to come forward with their ideas which helps the others SO much.
so the ranks ARENT that MEANINGLESS either actually.

its just a measure of how much u did for the forum in particular and the world in genral. i havnt seen anyone writing up spam here just to become
an "electronics expert" etc. whatever the users write here is actually all good. and in a way it does point out something.

morover i m reminded of the defination of an engineer here ...

Engineer : a man who uses the knowledge of science for the benefit of mankind

so ... no benefit to mankind --- no expertise actually.

not that serious though but lets b positive it does give everyone a reason to put up a fight to succeed. must be a good feeling at an elder age especially !!! :oops:

in the spirit of positiveness,
Pradeep K. Shima

a, come on guys, i think shima is right. these names encorage people to post there ideas(well i posted all that my braun could give, before i knew the ranks are based in the number of posts.
so i think that whoever is offende by them , should ignore them. i never look what rank a person has when i read the message, and i dont care if the idea comes from an expert or someone with less experience, it doesnt matter as long as it is a good ideea.
so keep the user ranks!!!

bogdanfirst said:
but, i think these ranks are funny, LOL(ha ha ha)
but here is something i think we need.
some symbols(like omega, beta, micro etc), because when i write a meaasge i have to write ohm instead of the letter. they could be added in the righe part of the message post like the emotions.
dont you think tis could be useful?

"Micro" is easy -- µ is created by using "Alt + 0181" (via the numeric keypad). The others are character set dependent. I'm not certain that the character set in use by this board supports them... :(

bogdanfirst, I think your idea is great and I want to work on this. Could you give me an example of what you would like?

I was thinking if you want to show a symbol you could type :eek:hm: and it would be replaced by a small ohm symbol. We could do this for many symbols and include them with the emoticons. We could call them symicons :lol:

And this could just be the start. I could enhance them so that when you hover over them with your mouse a box would appear and an explanation would pop up of what the symbol means.

ElectroMaster said:
bogdanfirst, I think your idea is great and I want to work on this. Could you give me an example of what you would like?

I was thinking if you want to show a symbol you could type :eek:hm: and it would be replaced by a small ohm symbol. We could do this for many symbols and include them with the emoticons. We could call them symicons :lol:

And this could just be the start. I could enhance them so that when you hover over them with your mouse a box would appear and an explanation would pop up of what the symbol means.

Of course, if HTML were set to "ON", posters could simply use the [font face] tag to insert symbols as needed, already sized and ready to go. Granted, it's more typing, but all of the symbols are already there and available immediately...

For example, [font face="Symbol"]W[/font] would produce the UC Omega symbol used for ohms. :)

rank

who would think such an innocuous subject would engender such strong emotions. Cobow summed up things pretty well, I think. Who gets to sit at the head table is vastly overated...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back