Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CE leakage current?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlad777

If I connect collector to +50V Vcc and ground base, what will be the voltage
on unconnected emitter?
My multimer has input resistance of 1MOhm (when voltmeter) and it
measures 2-12 volts.
This is even more of a problem with darlingtons.
I'm guessing this is because of leakage from c to e so I put 10k between e and gnd
and it works.

Am I correct and what is the best way to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Yes, all transistors and diodes have a small amount of leakage across a reverse-biased junction. A resistor of the correct size will absorb the leakage with only a small voltage drop across the resistor.

But why are you concerned about the voltage on an open emitter?

Well, you said this voltage was a problem and I'm trying to understand why it is. Or are you just concerned from an academic point of view?

I (tried) to make most basic voltage regulator (zener+emitter follower) but I had to use darlington (for higher current),
so I had to solve this problem that it gives some voltage on it's output when it's meant to give 0V.
So I am asking where is best to put this grounding resistor(s) (and what would be the values) given I am using discrete darlington.

Edit:
Also now I am interested what would be the answer if it was academic concern.

Last edited:
Hello,

It's a good idea to have some load on the output anyway. Even a 1 megohm resistor might do it. If it is a darlington, then a resistor from the second base to ground is also a good idea if you really (for some reason) need some very low output. Some darlingtons have a built in resistor from second base to second emitter though.
The only reason i can think of for needed this is when you disconnect the load entirely so that there is no load connected. With a fixed permanent resistor from emitter to ground this should no longer be a problem.

Last edited:
I (tried) to make most basic voltage regulator (zener+emitter follower) but I had to use darlington (for higher current),
so I had to solve this problem that it gives some voltage on it's output when it's meant to give 0V.
So I am asking where is best to put this grounding resistor(s) (and what would be the values) given I am using discrete darlington.

Edit:
Also now I am interested what would be the answer if it was academic concern.
Now that you've told us your application, I understand your concern.

Yes a resistor to ground should solve you problem. A value of 1k-10kΩ from the emitter to ground should suffice. If that's not sufficient for a Darlington, then go to a lower resistor value, but no lower than needed.

By academic, I meant whether it was only of concern from a theoretical point of view, and not a practical one. But you have a practical concern.

It seems to have been the soldering paste conducting from c to e. (TO-220 pin2-pin3)
When I cleaned the pcb I no longer get the phantom voltage.

What is funny is when I try to measure resistance of the paste I don't get any reading
(I can only measure up to 2MOhm).

Edit:
Since Vc=60V and Vphantom was 10V and input resistance of my multimer is 1MOhm,
that gives 5MOhm for the paste.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back