Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Carbon black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
Any recommendations on cleaning carbon black and decomposition products off of very fine stranded magnet wire after heating it off? To help it's headphone wire, at least 12 strands, I'm guessing it's in the neighborhood of 30AWG overall, which makes the copper quiet fine, I only have a 10X eye loop but it almost looks like Litz wire with 40+ gauge strands.

The main problems seems to be the extreme smallness of the individual strands. I've worked at a plating shop but the typical cleaning there is different, is there a recommended chemical to remove the carbon deposits?

Thank you.

I've cleaned wire down to 46 gauge successfully (most times!) by pulling it between two layers of very fine emery cloth lightly held between finger and thumb.

What grade emery cloth?

Not sure. I guess 400. Even coarser grade will work, but needs greater care to avoid wire breakage.

Why are you trying to strip the insulation off the wire?

If you are trying to solder the wire, just try using a hot iron and solder.
If this is a modern wire, the enamel will just burn away with the heat from the iron.

JimB

Rather than emery I have used 000 steel wool or as fine as you can get it. Gently drag the wires through the steel wool over and over. Then I generally clean with isopropanol.

Ron

Because Jim, I'm not trying to solder.

A molten salts bath will also work. There is a commercial product caller DipStrip by Eraser: https://www.eraser.com/products/replacement-parts-product/dip-strip-2/

I investigated several mixtures. KOH or NaOH plus a little sodium nitrate (NaNO3) works well. Since you have already burned the "enamel" you may not even need the NaNO3. My apparatus is simply a steel block into which I drilled a hole to contain the mixture. Heat on an electric (or gas) stove until molten. Working temperature is about 260°C. Dip wires for about 30 seconds or so, then rinse immediately in water.

If you are interested in pursuing that method, I will put a full write-up with pictures and formulas on my blog.

Don't be put off by the concept of molten salts. They are really quite common. Just be sure to wear safety glasses. That's about the only precaution needed. Wait for the wife to go shopping may also help.

John

Because Jim, I'm not trying to solder.
OK, another good idea while it lasted!:)

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back