Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Desktop PC Black screen problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wp100

Hi,

Looking on the web, the problem of the display going Black /Blank for a couple of seconds then returnng to normal seems quiet a common thing.

Been having such a problem for a long time , some days nothing happens, others lots of occurrances ?

Have done and tried lots of things , but won't fill up the post with all the details, but can say its not memory,SSD or monitor/cable etc.

The PC is a simple system Asrock HM81M , onboard graphics with Intel 4170cpu, 4gb Ram W10 32bit.

The question is that the Black screens almost always happens when using a browser , FF Chrome, even the new Edge? and regardess of how many tabs are open 1 or 10 or the sites visited.
( tried a clean install of W10 64bit with just Edge loaded but same results.)

Can anyone suggest what the problem /answer may be given the problem seems related to browser use ?

If it is an LCD type screen, consider that the backlight tube is turning off intermittently.

As a quick test, shine a bright torch close to the screen, can you see the expected images in the illuminated area of the screen?

JimB

If it is an LCD type screen, consider that the backlight tube is turning off intermittently.

As a quick test, shine a bright torch close to the screen, can you see the expected images in the illuminated area of the screen?

JimB

Afraid not, originally had the problem on the old lcd VGA only screen, still happenes with the new HDMI screen and HDMI lead.

Fairly obviously, it's NOT likely to be an electronic issue, if it's the same on multiple monitors, but an issue with the computer, either the hardware or the software - perhaps a video driver issue?.

Fairly obviously, it's NOT likely to be an electronic issue, if it's the same on multiple monitors, but an issue with the computer, either the hardware or the software - perhaps a video driver issue?.

Thats why we did a clean/formatted install of W10 64 bit and just used the default Edge, nothing else loaded in, but it still gave the error when browsing .
Then ran the Asrock CD to load in the old original Asrock and Intel drivers but things just the same.

Just wondering if the the corsair PSU ( not that old) was failing for a brief second , though not sure why only when browsing, does it use so much more power than doing other things like pcb design etc ? CPU and Mobo temps record as ok.

If it seems likely its the now obselete lga 1150 mobo or cpu that are faulty then thought about a mobo bundle but will MS allow it on the current licience ? or will it be simper to buy a complete box with w10 included ?

Did think about loading Linux to see if that produces the same problem, though not sure if it would prove anything if it did not give the error ?

As it wouldn't be using the Windows drivers, it'd show if it was a driver problem or not.

Was not sure how different the Linux drivers would be from Windows, perhaps more the way in which Linux applies and controls them ? rather beyond my knowledge ! though will give Linux a boot up and see how it goes.

One of my pc's hasb een doing a similar thing, but when the screen returns I get a recovery message, so windows is getting upset for some reason.

That can happen if the video driver crashes and is auto-recovered.

It could be a software / driver problem, or a fault in the GPU or video RAM buffer that causes it.

Try running a RAM test tool - eg. Memtest86

Make a bootable disc or USB stick with that, thn start the computer from it; see if it finds anything..

That can happen if the video driver crashes and is auto-recovered.

It could be a software / driver problem, or a fault in the GPU or video RAM buffer that causes it.

Try running a RAM test tool - eg. Memtest86

Make a bootable disc or USB stick with that, thn start the computer from it; see if it finds anything..

Thanks, had run a similar Command Line Memtest before without errors and even changed the Ram modules.
Still ran Passmark one from a USB drive and again all clear.

You could try snappy driver installer, it's a 17G download but can be done via a torrent. It seems to have drivers for everything I've ever had windows wise. And, did I mention, it's free.

Mike.

Thanks, am running on Linux now to see if that gives any problems, but it might be a while as the problem seem to come in fits and burst, several days all ok then a day or two of lots of Blanking.

Will give Snappy a try when i return to Windows.

Am using a common LG 24" monitor but assume if it was a driver problem it could be the LGs driver and / or the Intel HD 4400 onboard graphic driver ??

One of my pc's hasb een doing a similar thing, but when the screen returns I get a recovery message, so windows is getting upset for some reason.

The more you search the web the more you see of this type of problem, though some sites offer very detailed problem solving routines that sometimes works its all way to complex for me to follow.
I'm just at the hammer and screwdriver level :D

There was a very helpful UK forum run by the Computer Active magazine but its was closed down :(

Its not done it for a while, so I'm not going to worry.
I did hear some hard drive click of death before it happened so I suspect its on its way out.
Better back up.

Hi,

Looking on the web, the problem of the display going Black /Blank for a couple of seconds then returnng to normal seems quiet a common thing.

Been having such a problem for a long time , some days nothing happens, others lots of occurrances ?

Have done and tried lots of things , but won't fill up the post with all the details, but can say its not memory,SSD or monitor/cable etc.

The PC is a simple system Asrock HM81M , onboard graphics with Intel 4170cpu, 4gb Ram W10 32bit.

The question is that the Black screens almost always happens when using a browser , FF Chrome, even the new Edge? and regardess of how many tabs are open 1 or 10 or the sites visited.
( tried a clean install of W10 64bit with just Edge loaded but same results.)

Can anyone suggest what the problem /answer may be given the problem seems related to browser use ?

Hello,

A couple of things...

1. if you plan on keeping this computer then upgrade memory to at least 8 GB. Windows 10 needs at least 3-4 GB to operate (regardless of what anyone says). If we say your computer is using 3GB, that will only leave 1 GB to use with programs. Not enough to do anything really useful except maybe use notepad :) . Low memory will cause the computer to swap programs in/out of memory or disk, further impacting disk and CPU resources, slowing the system.

2. Your on-board graphics at 350Mhz is pretty slow. Most of todays applications use a lot of graphic power, (especially CAD/CAE).

Might want to upgrade or replace your system.

eT

Hi All,

Little update -

Did try that MemTest86 which took a few hours to complete, but again no errors found.

Then ran the Snappy Driver installer and things then seemed stable and ran for almost a week without any problems, but then they returned ?

As a last resort we uninistalled Norton Internet Secrity suite that we have used for 3 years and switched to MS Defender.

More than 2 weeks now and not a single black screen or problem , so would seem thats the cause... fingers crossed !

I had an Acer monitor, did the same, Found out it had a seperate psu to the logic with a large pin type connection between the two boards and that had become loose ie fractured solder joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back