Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car Modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I was thinking about a few things that I could do to my car, basically to make it a bit more functional, mainly to learn more about electronics.

1) I was thinking about an automatic power window controller. How do these work/are they easy to build? How does the controller know that the window is up?

2) Turbo-timer, are they just a 30 second time delay relay? If so can someone provide a basic circuit, or maybe a good 555 tutorial.. I've seen some shockers which weren't helpful and these put me off.

3) Blow-off valves - (I assume I'll be flamed for this one) Can I somehow simulate this sound through a speaker using some circuit??

Thanks in advance all,

Tim.

letsrelaythat said:
1) I was thinking about an automatic power window controller. How do these work/are they easy to build? How does the controller know that the window is up?

2) Turbo-timer, are they just a 30 second time delay relay? If so can someone provide a basic circuit, or maybe a good 555 tutorial.. I've seen some shockers which weren't helpful and these put me off.

3) Blow-off valves - (I assume I'll be flamed for this one) Can I somehow simulate this sound through a speaker using some circuit??

1.) I've never really used this feature, but I was thinking it would be cool to have it function for both windows (just the drivers side has this.) I was thinking about heading off to a junkyard to pick one up and tear into it. If no one else has any info on it, maybe try a junkyard.

2.) I'm not too familar with turbo's so I'm not really sure about what you are asking. But I do have a great 555 program at home. it lets you pick monostable or astable operations, then you just adjust the capacitor and resistor values and it will tell you the freqency, on-time, and % duty cycle. I'm at work right now, so I'll have to upload it when I get home. (although I did get a nasty virus, so I might not be able to).

3.) I doubt that there is a circuit that could reproduce this noise. Unless you had the sound recorded and you just play it back.

OK, Well I sorted out number 2, I found that I needed to be searching for one shot monostable 555 and that finally found me what I needed.

As for the power window timed controlled, all it does is close the power windows when it gets a 12v+ pulse from the alarm.. I think I might be able to make something like that (ive found the world of flip flops :roll: )

How would I record something and play it back on demand? Its only a small sound, this link is from a Subaru WRX:
http://www.stratmosphere.com/wrxatmosmall.wav

I was thinking about a CD or something, but I need to hit a button or something and have it sound straight away.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Tim.

On my car, for the power windows, I just tap the down or up button (I dont use it too often, so I dont know if it works for up) for the drivers side window and it will either put the window all the way up or all the way down.
It's called auto-express-down or something.

IIRC radioshack had an IC that you could record sound onto. not sure how it works or anything, but I remember seeing it there, maybe thats a start.

Hmm cheers for that. I have to work in a mini PC into the car, and maybe play it through dos..

As for the power windows I might just set a 15 second one shot timer with a optical sensor or something to signal that it is all the way at the top.

Has someone got that program that will work out the values required for the 15 second one shot??

Cheers,

Tim.

The power window feature you are referring to is called "Express Down" and as such only works to lower the window, and as a general rule only on the drivers side. For safety reasons, the feature does not work on raising the window. Too easy to get a child's hand / head trapped ( or yours for that matter) in an automatic up sequence.
Dialtone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back