Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car cd player

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmikejt12

I have here a car CD player. However, I am not old enough to drive so havnt got a car! I was wondering if there was an adaptor available to plug it into the mains for power? there is phono out at the back so I would connect my speakers to there

It needs a 12V supply and the max current is 15A....

baisically, I want to use a in-car cd player, without the car

yes, you can hook it up outside the car, but i don't know if there is any adapters with the right plug on it? Could you post some pictures of the back and power plug?

Last edited:
just to confirm, the cd player will only draw whatever current it needs from the player? (unless there is an electrical fault causing the fuse to blow)

also, the CD player has a 15 amp fuse which suggests it requires a high current, the adaptor only gives a 5A output, does this matter?

well with my cd player, the speakers connect to one one of the plugs inside the big plug on the right. you just have to find the power input and speaker outputs. How many speakers were hooked up to it in the car? 4?

i dont know, sorry.... it was my sisters in her old car.... i dont have a car as i'm only 16... my sisters just given it to me for when i get a car (which will probably have a cd player in anyway!!) but i wanted to use it in my room

i think there where 2 in the front ant 2 in the back.... the phono outputs will work fine wont they? (the speakers are amplified)

so its just a case of getting the power to it?

is there a cheaper way of getting a 24V high current supply? or would you reccomend one of those power adaptors?

Last edited:
there are 2 leads with labels on.... a yellow one labelled BATTERY 15A and the other one is red labelled ACC

there is also a black one (which is next to the red one in the black plug, and in the red plug aswell)

well one or two of the wires are so it turns on when you turn the keys, two goes to the power and if there is one wire with a plug on the end it could be for the power arial (spelt correctly?) if it had one. and then the rest goes to the speakers. i don't really know much more about this one? Hmmm

The phono jacks are labelled "pre-out" so they feed an external amplifier, not speakers.

The big connectors probably have the connections for four speakers.

A 12V/5A power supply will probably operate it but the power output will be low before the power supply blows up or severe distortion results.

What you want to do should be pretty simple.

I would help if you had a wiring diagram for it.

I would guess the red to be power and black to be ground, but I can't be sure.

Most stereos I have worked with have a:

Ground
Power lead thats hot all the time for memory
Power lead thats hot only with the key on
Input to dim display when the headlights are on
somtimes an output to control a power antenna or amp
and then all your speaker wires - 4 speakers - 2wires each - 8 wires total

so even amplified speakers would not work with the phono?

and if i get the powre correct, ive then got to figure out which 2 wires i need 2 touch to turn it on?

and the power supply wont last very long?

is there anything you can reccomend? (apart from a car battery)

sorry, replied before the last post.... sorry i do not have a wiring diagram, the wires are in pairs...

green-green next to each other
white-white
purple-purple
gray-gray
then blue and white lead and aslo a lose blue lead with a rubber insulator at the end (antenna??) going to the same socket
the red and black are close to each other and the yellow is on its own

(this is in the black plug)

I will try and draught a diagram for you

are the speaker outputs amplified or not?

here is where the coloured wires are:
**broken link removed**

I'm guessing top is speakers, bottom is power?

Last edited:
Without a wiring diagram then you are just guessing. If one wire is wrong then the CD player will blow up in a cloud of smoke and never work properly again. Good luck.

Of course it has amplifiers for 4 ohm speakers. They are probably 14W per channel at clipping if the power supply is 13.8VDC. When all four channels are producing 14W each then the CD player heats with about 56W. So the unit draws a max current of about 8.2A for the amplifiers and some more current for the CD player's parts.

i dont like the sound of "cloud of smoke" 'electronics' smoke stinks!!! ive had a capacitor explode in an audio amplifyer (too much current i think)

if I was only using 2 channels (28W) what would the max current be then?

the power adaptor listed above has a max output of 5A and 60W

found some info :) (attatched)

would this speaker work?
**broken link removed**

I only want low wattage speakers, 2 of these gives 12V

so, with 2x 6W 8 ohm speakers (lets call that 18W to account for the player and any extra)

the current drawn from the player is 1.5 amps, correct? or have I done something wrong?

Attachments

• yefm284127.pdf
    374.9 KB · Views: 1,296
Last edited:
Two channels will make 28W of sound power and another 28W of heat. Then the 56W total divided by the 13.8V power supply is a current of 4.1A, plus some more current for the CD player's parts.
If the power supply is only 12V then the power output and current used are much lower. A fully charged car battery is 13.8V but some are charged at 14.4V.

The 5A power supply is for appliances, not audio equipment. It might make a very loud buzz or hum due to inadequate filtering.

Looks like a Panasonic radio and Volkswagen/Audi/Mercedes plug adapter to me.

Anyways, the usual color code for those after market radio is:

Yellow = Constant 12Volt
Red = Switched 12 Volt
Black = Ground
Blue = Power antenna or external amp remote control (not needed here)
White = Front Left Speaker
Grey = Front Right Speaker
Green = Rear Left Speaker
Purple = Rear Right Speaker

HTH

EDIT: deuh.. i didn't notice your PDF... at least it confirm it's a panasonic :D

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for your help

do you have any ideas for power supplies? that is the only thing i need before i can start :(

also, what is the problem with using the phono out to my speakers? **broken link removed**are my speakers, it would save me buying new speakers..... would i still get a hiss from them??

Last edited:
The pre-amp outputs on the CD player on the RCA jacks are perfect for driving your amplified speakers. Then any half-decent 12V/2A power supply will power the CD player parts.

Thanks alot for your help :)

will this 12V 3A power supply do..
**broken link removed** ?? sorry thats AC, it needs to be DC doesnt it??

how about this one: **broken link removed** (12V DC 2A version)

Thanks again for your help,
Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back