Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car cd player

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 12V/2A regulated switching power supply will probably be fine to power your CD player without using its amplifiers.

ok, thank you very much for your help :)

sorry, 1 last question.... could I use an AC supply with a diode bridge??

like this:
**broken link removed**

also, what capacitor would you reccomend?
I have many values, ranging up to 1000uF

The AC supply made with a transformer, diode bridge and filter capacitor is not regulated so its output voltage might vary from 12V to 16V. Also using only 1000uF for a filter capacitor will result in a lot of 100Hz ripple which might be loud.

will this voltage change damage the cd player??

and would a smaller capacitor be quieter and result in less ripple?

Thanks again,
Mike

You need a regulated power supply for the CD player. The voltage changes of a simple supply might damage it.
The main filter capacitor reduces ripple more when its value is larger. With a smaller value then the ripple is huge.

oooh, ok thanks :) I will buy the power supply then.... probably the best idea :)

really sorry to keep asking questions, but what about a computers PSU? that gives a 12v output doesnt it?? and i presume its regulated

I can't remember how much current at 12V a computer power supply gives. The 5V will need a load in order for the power supply to operate.

success :)

I tried it before reading your post. I plugged the CD player into the yellow and black wires on the molex connector, shorted the green and black wires on the 20 pin connector, the power supply came on... pressed the power button on the CD player and it came on :D

Thank you once again for your help... I'm working on a case for it at the moment using some 5mm thich perspex...

Here are some pics:

1st time I tried it (using power supply that is in my PC):
**broken link removed**

2nd time (using spare power supply):
**broken link removed**

I am glad you got it to work. Does it play alright through your pc amplified speakers?

yes, it works fine, thanks :)

I am trying to connact a flashing light to a speaker output, but i dont know what circuit to use.... I have connected a resistor and bulb for now, it works well on songs with very distinct basslines but with music playing and a bassline in the background, its not that good...

Here is a short video: www.d-a-l.com/mike/MOV00003.3gp

I have started a new thread about this here: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/current-limiting.30560/

however, I just want a circuit suitable for this... I tried a LM386 audio amp circuit with LED's but it didnt work :(

The LM386 won't work will LEDs because it's AC coupled with a capacitor.

You can make it work by connecting two banks of LEDs in parallel, one with the anodes and cathodes in one direction and another with the anodes and cathodes in the other direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back