Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

q5101997

Ive just built a boost dc-dc converter. Ime charging a 1,000 µF capacitor to 40 V from a 4 V battery and discharging it through a 6 V solenoid. That armature ejects with massive force when I connect it to the cap.

Yes, you've just created a basic rail gun =) Good show. How far does the solenoid shoot out?

Its connected to a door, and this closes so violently that my mum won't put her finger in it.

Wow, nice.
Don't do that too many times the coil might not be able to take it =) Is the solenoid hot after it 'fires' ?

It fires briefly. Perhaps within 300 ms (my nieces gasped when the door slammed shut). The solenoid is rated at 160V for brief periods. Its tubular and made by a company called Black Night. And solid. It cost me $40 AU but that armature is made of high permiability iron with a stainless steel rod (0.6mm) straight down the guts. Its an elegant piece of work.

What are you going to do with it, besides slam doors? =)

It's funny you should ask S, it's for a mouse trap I've designed. That's ironic?

Uhoh. Trying to build a better mouse trap? Good luck =) Personally I'd lower the voltage, if some little furry got caught in that there would be bits flying everywhere =O

I'me learning that it's better to have too much, and give some away, than to to have too little. To stop that muel kickin' so hard, I can run it through a 1 Ω resistor. I cant change the voltage. Its tied up with the rest of the circuit and has to multiply the battery voltage by 10.

Yep, good mindset to get into =) You can always do less with more, you can never do more with less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back