Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linear power supply with audio-grade caps is any better than similar high-quality ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ducnguyen2k10

I had a big online fight with this guy making so-called “hi-end” linear power supply.
I said the capacitors he’s using in his LPS should not provide better DC output than the same parameter capacitors!
I challenged him to show the oscilioscope of his LPS DC output measurement but he tried to avoid.
I don’t see the neccesity to use audio-grade capacitors in the LPS.
Additionally, this guy and some of his friends argued that LPS is essential and should improve SQ when using to power ethernet switch, and DC-powered equipments in the chain of audio system.
Does anyone here has experience and knowleage to prove me wrong!?

Attachments

• A866C663-3E73-4A51-B5FD-81CB5D53892C.jpeg
    A866C663-3E73-4A51-B5FD-81CB5D53892C.jpeg
    486.7 KB · Views: 379
  • 9FFB4002-D2AF-4BD0-ACF2-D732CCC460C4.jpeg
    9FFB4002-D2AF-4BD0-ACF2-D732CCC460C4.jpeg
    645.2 KB · Views: 375
Audiophiles aren't the only phools in this world.

Just look around here for the silly prices people will pay for sidecutters.
Depends how 'silly' they are, a £70 pair of Lindstrom cutters will last 40+ years, and still cut a hair at the tip, cheap (£5) cutters probably need replacing yearly. However, when you lose your cutters (or someone borrows them and never brings them back), it makes the £5 cutters look much more of a bargain :D

Also, the Lindstrom cutters are far stronger, and will stand much more abuse - you don't try and cut small steel bolts with cheap cutters, and shouldn't with expensive ones either, but at least they will cut through small bolts or steel wires etc.

Personally, while I've still got an old pair of Lindstrom cutters I currently use cheap ones at work, and replace them occasionally.

Depends how 'silly' they are, a £70 pair of Lindstrom cutters will last 40+ years, and still cut a hair at the tip, cheap (£5) cutters probably need replacing yearly. However, when you lose your cutters (or someone borrows them and never brings them back), it makes the £5 cutters look much more of a bargain :D

Also, the Lindstrom cutters are far stronger, and will stand much more abuse - you don't try and cut small steel bolts with cheap cutters, and shouldn't with expensive ones either, but at least they will cut through small bolts or steel wires etc.

Personally, while I've still got an old pair of Lindstrom cutters I currently use cheap ones at work, and replace them occasionally.
I agree with Nigel on this.

In most places where there is an expensive option, it's very clear that the majority of people don't want to pay that, and the expensive item is rare. Examples include first class or private air travel, expensive cars, fine wine and paintings.

(Arguably, a lot of people spend a lot more money than they need on cars)

In the technical field, there is lots of expensive test equipment that only a few people need and will pay for. Have look at https://www.youtube.com/c/PrecisionTransmission/featured and you can see that the tools used and even the special bench that drains transmission fluid are expensive items.

The £70 that Nigel and I will spend on a pair of Lindstrom cutters is very, very cheap compared to many of the items I mentioned, and for something that is used for years it doesn't seem an extravagance, but if someone wants to use cheap stuff, it's their choice.

I often joke but it is true ... "People are like fish" .... put a blinky light on it and make it shiny and they are drawn to it like moths to a flame. ... greatest marketing trick ever in our line of business.

The £70 that Nigel and I will spend on a pair of Lindstrom cutters is very, very cheap compared to many of the items I mentioned, and for something that is used for years it doesn't seem an extravagance, but if someone wants to use cheap stuff, it's their choice.
There's a thread hereabouts regarding sharpening sidecutters where you will find people saying that you should only use your (small electrical work) sidecutters for copper wire; and using them for anything else is just laziness.

Then you have people saying that spending £70 on a pair of sidecutters is justified because they will allow you to cut through small bolts and screws and still last 40 years.

I bought these (£2.99) for their very thin points, for trimming supports from 3D printed objects:
31P4fG6I8+S._AC_.jpg

They cut copper wire (upto 1.6mm), MOSFET leads -- what are they made from? -- 0.2mm copper sheet, just fine.

And at £2 a pair, seventy quid will get you a lifetimes worth of use. And if you only use them for copper wire probably 3 lifetimes; but that's speculative :)

I've got other tool(s) that will cut hardened bolts and nails, spring steel etc. I don't need my wire snips to be capable of that.

Last edited:
I have a set of the above wire cutters. I also have a couple of pairs of Lindstrom cutters. I use them both for the same purposes and the Lindstroms are as good as new 5 years later. I've gone through 4 or 5 of the cheaper cutters above as well (at home). I also have a couple of spare cheapos that I lend to graduates ....

I suspect that by the time the Lindstroms wear out, I'll have broken even over buying the cheapo cutters but it saves the hassle and waiting for them to arrive !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back