Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor discharge ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.

shed_dweller

I have built a very basic capacitor discharge ignition that actually runs my motocycle.

I am wondering about matching the ignition coil to the discharge capacitor. I can not find any info or rule of thumb to follow. looking at commerial units there does not seem to be any rule regarding the voltagle/cap size/ coil resistance or reactance in mili henries.

Any clever chaps able to give me a few pointers so i can work out if I'm getting the most power transfer possible?

A capacitive discharge unit uses the coil as a transformer so coil resistance and reactance are not critical. The turns ratio is selected to give the desired output voltage for the charged capacitor voltage (a typical coil has about a 100:1 ratio). See **broken link removed** or Google "Capacitive Discharge Ignition" for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back