Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can someone design this for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

shianhugg

I need some help designing a project. I need a PCB that will control a brushless 12v DC motor (so 3 phase) from a 12v input. The motor is rated at 15A 12vdc, I need the motor to either be off or run at 100% no variable control. The circuit board will have constant 12vdc source from a battery, ground, and a 12v switched wire that will allow me to turn on and off the system. It basically is a relay that converts from single phase to 3 phase. Can anyone please help me.

It basically is a relay that converts from single phase to 3 phase.
I don't think phase conversion is involved (is it just a 2-wire motor?). A solid state relay, rated to comfortably switch >60A DC (bearing in mind that start-up current can be much greater than running current), may be all you need.

Wait a minute. are you talking about a "stepper motor" or a relay? If it's a stepper, then understand that in order for it to run at full speed, it wont be a sudden start like a regular DC motor. You have to ramp up. I guess thats not important though, as long as it get's there and continues. But please clarify the brushless motor / relay confusion.

alec_t this is the same project that i was working on allaboutcircuits that you commented on. I just got my post closed do to it being auto related. It's a brushless sensorless motor inside a pump housing. I have hooked the motor up to one of my RC ESCs to make sure it worked the way i wanted it to. Now i need a circuit desined that i can have placed on a PCB and but inside of the housing the old controlled came out of. I am not using the old control because it had way more functions and i couldn't get it to work with out a CAN connnection.

alec_t this is the same project that i was working on allaboutcircuits that you commented on. I just got my post closed do to it being auto related. It's a brushless sensorless motor inside a pump housing. I have hooked the motor up to one of my RC ESCs to make sure it worked the way i wanted it to. Now i need a circuit desined that i can have placed on a PCB and but inside of the housing the old controlled came out of. I am not using the old control because it had way more functions and i couldn't get it to work with out a CAN connnection.

So you want to nix the CAN for a simple ON/OFF switch control. Gotcha

Yes I want a on/off switch to control the brushless sensorless motor. I have power to a switch and the motor need everything in between. The ESC I used was just to test the motor.

How many wires does your motor have (your pic suggests 4, or 6)?
The ESC I used was just to test the motor.
Why can't you use the ESC permanently?

It just has 3 wires. i could order a small ESC and wire it in was trying to get everythign on one PCB. If I use the ESC i will still need a signal generator for the motor

If I use the ESC i will still need a signal generator for the motor
Does the ESC require a standard servo type pulse input (1ms-2ms @ 50Hz)? Presumably it has the 3-wire output?

Can you post a link to the datasheet of the ESC that can drive your motor?

Are you planning to use this modified motor/pump in a vehicle? If so you will probably invalidate your insurance and the vehicle won't be street-legal.

Then I feel sorry for any other motorist if your truck is involved in an accident with their vehicle and your insurer disowns you :( It's for this sort of reason that the 'allaboutcircuits' forum bans posts about vehicle mods.

Alec this will not void my insurance in any way it is no different than adding a transfer pump from any other after market fuel tank. Also my insrance company is aware my modification to my truck because i have it insured for way more than the straight stock value of my truck. If you are say you don't plan to help me than that's fine i understand.

Ok. Your circuit board outline suggests you also want to control temperature. In view of the limited board space you'll be pushed to handle both motor and temperature control using discrete components. So the most practical solution would be a micro. Not my forte I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back