Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CAD software recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugenn

I used Eagle and Orcad so far.

I want your recomendation for a software that makes the layout update very easy, when changing footprints for a few components, without starting from scratch with a netlist and re-routing the complete board.

Many times I have a finished layout and I need to change for example a single transistor/IC footprint, the rest of the board being unchanged. Can this be done easier? (I would prefer modifying the schematic, not only changing footprint and backannotating).

Thanks

Why do you need to start over from scratch.

I know in Eagle you can remove the components from the schematic and it does not destroy the rest of the board layout.

There is even a change package and change technology that sometimes works to change the package in place. Depends on who make the packages.

3v0

I agree with 3v0. In Eagle there is no need to alter the board and backannotate for most things; just swap it out in the schematic, go back to the board, clean up your airwires, ratsnest, and check.

I have my issues with Eagle but this isn't one of them--it does this sort of thing well enough.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back