Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bytes in a word? sram chip...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it's definitely a 64k static RAM. If as Nigel suggested you want to use it in your Z80 project, I would suggest buying 2 x 62256 to get the 64k required. You should be able to get them for a couple of dollars each. You would probably be better making one of them a 27256 EPROM.

Mike.

Pommie said:
Yes, it's definitely a 64k static RAM. If as Nigel suggested you want to use it in your Z80 project, I would suggest buying 2 x 62256 to get the 64k required.

Bit misleading?, 64K isn't 'required' it's the maximum addressable memory space - 8K would be plenty for learning about Z80. If I recall correctly, the complete circuit diagram I posted for him (EZ80 board) only used 2K?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Bit misleading?, 64K isn't 'required' it's the maximum addressable memory space - 8K would be plenty for learning about Z80. If I recall correctly, the complete circuit diagram I posted for him (EZ80 board) only used 2K?.

If your going to go to the trouble of building this thing then you may as well put 32k of ROM and 32k of RAM. Especially when the total cost is around $5!!

I do however agree that 8k would be plenty.

Mike.

I wrote a game called chuckie egg for the MSX computer. That would have been around 1983.

Mike.

Why TI discontinued the TMS9918 is beyond me, would make a great microcontroller display chip especially if they put the DRAM inside.

Nigel said:
Yes, although I think it makes far more sense to consider it an 8k one, as you don't use bits of memory, you use bytes - you could use 8 of those to give you a full 64K on your Z80!

Oh, i see. It is 64kbits, but 8kbytes. My bad. :) Thanks.

I already have a 32k SRAM and a 32k EEPROM for my z80. I was just wondering how big this one was. Actually, i found another one just like this one, so now i have 2 of the 8k SRAM chips

I would guess that a 1G Pentium runs at 1 GHz and the amount of ram is stated somewhere else.

Mike.

I already know the binary number system, guys... I just didn't know what a word was..

1GB is 1024MB, and 1MB is 1024KB, and 1KB = 1024bytes, therefore 1024^3 = 1073741824 bytes.

so 1GB = 1073741824 Bytes

Last edited:
No.

1GB = 1000MB, 1MB = 1000KB and 1KB = 1000 bytes.

What you're speaking of are GiB, MiB and KiB.

What ever. You get the general idea. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I just noticed that last year. I was sitting at my PC and looked at my wireless router and it was like Mbps. I was thinking no way this router can transfer that many megabytes per second. Marketing I guess, advertise the larger number (ie. megabits).

I don't know about Linux but Windows measures disk space in KiB, MiB and GiB even though it incorrectly calls them KB, MB and GB.

Awhile ago some people decided to take a hard drive company to court for misselling them smaller hard drives. The court found in the hard drive company's favour because they used the correct terminology and the people were wrong.

Ubuntu uses GB MB and KB. I think most os's do... not sure about other linux distros, though.

Hi, about bits and bytes IBM 360 and 370 architecture used 1 byte = (8 bits) 2 bytes = 1 halfword (16 bits). 2 halfwords = 1 word (32bits). 2 words = 1 doubleword (64 bits) an 2 doublewords = 1 Quadword (128bits). see attachments for CNOP alignment and Machine format instruction formats.

Sorry to introduce another term (halfword)
Cheers RH

Attachments

• Cnop Alignment.JPG
    Cnop Alignment.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 128
  • machine instruction format.JPG
    machine instruction format.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 111
Marks256 said:
Ubuntu uses GB MB and KB. I think most os's do... not sure about other linux distros, though.
I don't know about Linux be Windows uses KiB, MiB and GiB even thought is calls them KB, MB and GB. The file I've attached is exactly 2000 bytes or 2KB long. Windows says it's 1.95KB, even though it really means 1.95KiB. I don't know about Linux as I'm in Windows mode at the moment and haven't looked at it under Linux yet.

Attachments

• 2KB.txt
    2 KB · Views: 104
Yeah, linux uses KiB, MiB, and GiB, but calls them KB MB and GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back