Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building a circuit that involves solid state ralays and 555 timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amanmazleigh

Hello guys!

I am trying to build a circuit and had been thinking about it for a few days but came out with no solutions. I am trying to build a circuit of which when a button is pushed, the 555 timer which is to be configured as a one shot multivibrator will send out an output for 3 seconds. This output will then be sent into a solid state relay which then will close the internal switch. An 18 V supply will then flow through the closed circuit to power the solenoid until after 3 seconds. After three seconds, the one shot multivibrator will go back to its low output state.

I've tried simulating it in MultiSim but the results I got are very erratic. I'm not sure if its my fault or just the simulations fault.

Details of the circuits that I intend to use is as follows though if you guys think it should be modified by all means you can tell me that. :)
Supply voltage to 555 timer: 9V battery voltage regulated to 5V
Supply to solenoid: 18V (2 9V batteries connected in series)
Voltage regulator: National Semiconductor LM7805CT
555 timer model: National Semiconductor LM555CN
Solid state relay: Vishay Semiconductor LH1500AT

I am intending to use a microswitch for the timer's trigger input.

I am not sure if I should use solid state regulators ot the normal relays. I've heard that solid state relays are more reliable. Please advice me on that too.

I can provide the MultiSim drawing that I did if requested. I really appreciate the help given.

With regards,
Aman.

Instead of the 555 going to a SSR (solid state relay) which in turn would power the solenoid, connect the output of the 555 to a MOSFET which can be used as a switch to control the solenoid.

Instead of the 555 going to a SSR (solid state relay) which in turn would power the solenoid, connect the output of the 555 to a MOSFET which can be used as a switch to control the solenoid.

by MOSFET you meant transistors? when i simulate in MultiSim, when my timer is output low, i get 2.667V. is it normal? if i use a transistor it will automatically be switched on because of the 2.667V flowing in rite?

You need a better simulator, like LTSpice :D

Here is how I would drive your solenoid.

Attachments

• DF65.png
    DF65.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 488
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back