Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bridge Rectifier Pd and HS Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkidd22

Hello,

I'm working on a power supply that requires a bridge rectifier of 20A. I've picked the GBPC3508W to get some margin. So I'm new to this and want to be able to calculate if I will be needing a heat sink for the device or not.

The Max ambient temperature is where the rectifier will be used can reach 50C.
The Max Junction temp of the IC is 150C.
Max continuous current load through rectifier is 25A.
Max Powe disipation of the rectifier is 83.3W.

so my Tja = (150C - 50C) / (25A * 1.1V) = 3.63°C/W

So taking that all my above calculations are correct does this mean that the junction temperature can reach (3.63°C/W * (1.1V * 25A)) = 99.83W? which is above the max power disipation of the device so I will need a HS?

Any references to where I can learn more about this will be appreciated.

Note that for a bridge, two diodes carry current at the same time so the dissipation is 25A * 2.2V = 55W. That will definitely require a healthy heat-sink, probably along with a cooling fan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back