Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bm 1 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.man

actually whats the difference between 120i and 120im. whats m for?
which one is best between the two?

also i heard of these; 1.4,1.6,2.0, etc cars. what does this numbers mean and what are their significance?

e.g one has two option for buying.
1) 2.0 used car with say, 94,000km millage
2.) 1.4 brand new, which cost, say 3% less than the first.
which one would you prefer and why?

actually whats the difference between 120i and 120im. whats m for?
which one is best between the two?

also i heard of these; 1.4,1.6,2.0, etc cars. what does this numbers mean and what are their significance?

e.g one has two option for buying.
1) 2.0 used car with say, 94,000km millage
2.) 1.4 brand new, which cost, say 3% less than the first.
which one would you prefer and why?

Are you referring to a BMW? I think the numbers 1.4,1.6 refer to engine size in liters. My car would be a 5.7 :D

I am a bigger guy and I would prefer a pickup. :D
1.4 or 2 liter displacement is not much where I come from.

Really what it comes down to is what you want. Small and economical or bigger and more efficient.

A reasonable example of both are this.
My neighbors had a small car with a 1.6 L engine that got about 35 MPG in typical driving. It was horribly underpowered and uncomfortable to ride in. Plus they paid about $6000 for it. :(
Around the same time I had bought a big but used luxury car for about $3500 that was well built and far more efficient despite being nearly double the size and having three plus times the power. It got around 28 - 30 mpg in the same driving conditions as their car. :)
It was very comfortable and seated five big guys like me well and could pull a good sized trailer without effort too. Their car couldn't hardly move if it had four people in it and luggage in the back as well and I think most riding lawn mowers have better towing capacity than their car did.:eek:
Its fuel mileage would actually drop below what mine did when loaded down with just four big people.:eek:
Its maintenance costs were high, it was uncomfortable and overall there was no real money being saved even from the slightly higher fuel millage.

BMW has been known for making good vehicles but still do some serious thinking and research on what will fit into your application best. Smallest is not always the cheapest or most economical in the long run. And any well maintained car built in the last 15 years will go well over 300K Km without problems. :)

BTW, my one pickup after the engine rework is a 7.6 L.:p

Don't rely on the numbers to deduce engine capacity.

120 is a 1-series two-litre (1995CC actually).......but,
118 is also a 1-series two-litre, albeit tuned to give comparable performance to a 1.8 engine...

Go figure.;)

I've been out a couple of times in a BMW 1 series diesel - it absolutely flies, and you can't tell it's a diesel at all (apart from how infrequently you need to fill up).

Only problem (and it might just be me?), I couldn't get in or out without banging my head?.

Diesel engines

Diesels are the future...

A few years ago, I had the chance to strike up a friendship with a rather intelligent, but modest, powertrain engineer from one of the last UK-owned motor manufacturers. He'd previously worked predominantly upon Petrol engined derivatives, but crossed over to diesel.

His words of advice were..."Brush up on your diesel theory mate, because what is coming down the line will blow your mind.....multiple injections per stroke...pilot-injection to warm the main charge...multiple main charge injections & then post-injection to reduce knock and NOX."

How modern diesels perform, is a world apart from the mechanical days...

My car would be a 5.7 :D

My 86 Monte Carlo SS has 6.3 :p and 450HP
**broken link removed**
I'm happy when I get double digits for gas milage. It'll get about 15mpg with a light foot.

Get the 118 diesel, any mileage. I drove one and it was doing 1500 rpm at 60 mph. Probably gives nearer 60 mpg than 50 mpg.

Avoid the runflat tyres. If you get a car with runflats, change to standard when they wear out.

What's wrong with runflats Diver?

What's wrong with runflats Diver?

Ride quality, fuel consumption, replacement availability and cost, tyre life and it's not as though they always work when punctured. Some people think that runflats are more prone to punctures as well. None of the disadvantages are major, and a lot of people are happy with runflat tyres.

The tyre pressure monitoring systems that come with runflats are a major advantage, and are often fitted across a range of cars if runflats are available. The BMW tyre pressure monitoring system measures the speeds of all 4 wheels with the ABS sensors, so it doesn't need any special hardware. All it needs is a press of the recalibration button when any new tyres are fitted.

My mother, 80+, with pacemaker, got conned into buying the "sport" version of the BMW. Even though the wheels are only 17" and up to 19" is available, the standard car would have had 16" and non-runflats. The ride on her car is awful.

She get 3 years breakdown cover anyhow, so a flat tyre would only mean a half hour wait. It is also possible to have a spare tyre and jack even if it takes up boot space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back