Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Blocking Negative voltages to ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpj

Hi..
One of the signal which is ( -3.3V to 0 ) need to clamp to level of 0V.
I can do that using the level shifter by using a voltage divider pulled up to Vref; but need to implement some other technique.

Basically I want to block (-3.3V to 0 ) range to ADC and allowing only ( 0 to +3.3VDC) signal to process.
ADC is referenced to +3.3VDC and negative reference is tied to GND internally.

Any idea or advise to work in this area?

Regards.

Use a Schottky diode to block the negative voltage.

At low current the diode's forward voltage drop should be negligable. Otherwise correct the value in the software.

Boncuk

It would be better to connect a series resistor to the input (say 10k) with a Schottky diode (cathode) to ground. That will avoid the offset voltage of the diode. The diode will limit the negative voltage to about 0.4-0.5V which should cause no problem.

What is the highest frequency of the voltage you are converting?

It would be better to connect a series resistor to the input (say 10k) with a Schottky diode (cathode) to ground. That will avoid the offset voltage of the diode. The diode will limit the negative voltage to about 0.4-0.5V which should cause no problem.

PIC's already have suitable diodes internally, so no need for an external one.

An obvious conversion method would be use an opamp to invert the signal to make it 0 to +3.3V rather than negative.

Sorry guys..
I wrongly mention -3.3V to 0 as signal swing.
Actual swing is -3.3V to 0 to +3.3V.
And I want to block that negative part of it.
Thanks for help buddy!!

Sorry guys..
I wrongly mention -3.3V to 0 as signal swing.
Actual swing is -3.3V to 0 to +3.3V.
And I want to block that negative part of it.
Thanks for help buddy!!

A simple 1K resistor in series with the ADC input is all thats required, the internal diodes will do the rest.
During the small [-0.7v] negative swing due to the internal clamp diode turn on voltage, the ADC will reads zero counts.

Hey Eric,
Thats really useful.
Will these diodes work precisely at 20 KHz changing signal level??
This signal is being fed by a 20 KHz PWM.
Regards.

Hey Eric,
Thats really useful.
Will these diodes work precisely at 20 KHz changing signal level??
This signal is being fed by a 20 KHz PWM.
Regards.

hi,
I see that for your MCU that the continuous clamp current is 2mA, so for a -3.3V swing below zero I would use a 2k2 series resistor.

What is the maximum sampling rate for your MCU.??

Hi..
I intend to work with sampling rate of 20 KHz..
Its related to some other functionality of the device.
Regards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back