Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bird scarer

Status
Not open for further replies.
wba2 said:
Does anyone have a suitable circuit for a bird scarer ?, only serious relies please.

I would suggest you give many more details, for a start, what kind of birds?, where do they need scaring from?, and why do you want them scaring?.

I would suggest scaring a sparrow and a seagull would be very different!.

any sort of loud bang would do...

I once saw a farmer with a setup that basically involved a bottle of propane, a 12v car battery, and a spark gap accross the pipe coming from the bottle of propane...

I get the impression you are looking for a bird scarer in the style of the inaudible cat/dog scarers, but i'm not sure you can, because most birds have hearing that is within the range of humans, so you would hear the noise as well (I think, but i'm sure someone will correct me)

I've never read that birds have a larger band of hearing capabilities, such as dogs etc. To my knowledge, their hearing is similar to ours but probably more sensitive to higher frequencies.

You might want to look into a decoy of a predatory bird, such as a large owl, etc. If a simple, non-moving decoy isn't enough to scare them off, maybe making it's head move side-to-side with a servo motor will be enough to do the trick. JB

We tried large rubber snakes and they worked for a while, till the pigeons caught on.. We are now using some large (18") ballons filled with helium and tied with a 2' string and free floating..The birds really don't like them I guess because the're floating around and moving constantly.. Another suggestion was aluminum pie tins hanging from a string and spinning in the breeze (works in gardens)..Zero electronics and very low tech :p

Old CDs work great! Yust hang a cuple CDs (The more the beter) on a pole whith strings.As the CDs rotate they flash the sun around.They work beter than aluminium (meaby becose they shine colors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back