Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cat scarer

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerart

Hi,

I am making a cat scarer (Little buggers) for the garden. What I have now is a movement sensor, a relay and a water valve. This is fine, but it keeps triggering.

Now I want to try an Infra red send receive. I've seen senders using 555, so I think I'm ok there, but I need a receiver now, if anyone knows of a simple one, please. I imagine it will be sent across the garden, and mirrored back to the send receive circuit.

Cheers, Camerart.

Did you use the special toilet paper cardboard roll filter device as in this video ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8

Thanks a lot Picbits,

I've stopped laughing enough to type now. It's actually a well made video isn't it.

My system is similar, but quite simple. The same sensor, and led connection, then transistor switching a relay. I can put most things on the relay. I've tried a motor spinning a bit of plastic, which almost works.

As with the video I think water is the best way, so I have now got a 12v water valve, and will do the same.

I did have a tube, but there's seems better. Also I found that hot air and any plants waving sends it off, that's why I was thinking about an infra red beam.

I'll keep trying.

Cheers, Carmerart.

I love that video - we have a similar problem with cats here (and foxes / stray dogs / chavs )

I'll be doing a similar thing myself at some point as the little buggers keep pooping and digging up the bit of turn next to my front door.

I wouldn't go with the beam break to be honest - as soon as it rains / gets dirty / bugs walk over it / foggy / condensation etc you'll have issues. Maybe mask off parts of the PIR to get the best effect ? I've seen this done before to give a very narrow field of vision.

I'm personally tempted to make some kind of ultrasonic 3d range finding device and map out what is in the garden then use some kind of targeting system to follow the little buggers around squirting them with soapy water or similar ;)

I love that video - we have a similar problem with cats here (and foxes / stray dogs / chavs )

I'll be doing a similar thing myself at some point as the little buggers keep pooping and digging up the bit of turn next to my front door.

I wouldn't go with the beam break to be honest - as soon as it rains / gets dirty / bugs walk over it / foggy / condensation etc you'll have issues. Maybe mask off parts of the PIR to get the best effect ? I've seen this done before to give a very narrow field of vision.

I'm personally tempted to make some kind of ultrasonic 3d range finding device and map out what is in the garden then use some kind of targeting system to follow the little buggers around squirting them with soapy water or similar ;)

OK, this does seem better than the beam option.

I had thought of lots of things, but many of them would shoot me as well. They seem to have runs (Not what you're thinking :) where they usually go. I think the same as the video is fine, then move it round if they figure it out. Then I'll know where not to walk.

I've just got to fit a better tube to mine.

I'm surprised they keep coming back even after a soaking, not sure why, bad memory or stubbornness?

I was thinking about soapy water, or sugar water. I will restrain myself from worse fates, for the darlings.

Owners of cats don't worry about where they leave there used dinners, as long as it's somewhere else.

Cheers, Camerart.

Thanks, for the suggestion, but looks a bit complicated, if I was going to use a beam, I would prefer the sender and receive circuits, so i know what's happening.

To get reliable IR beam-break detection, you need optics to define a beam at the transmitter, and optics to focus the beam onto the detector at the receiver. You need to devise a method of modulating the beam at the transmitter, and then to detect the modulation at the receiver end. A simplistic DC-coupled system will not hack it because of ambient sun light. The garage door sensors do all of this for cheap ($18) with only a modicum of additional circuitry to actuate a relay...

Last edited:
To get reliable IR beam-break detection, you need optics to define a beam at the transmitter, and optics to focus the beam onto the detector at the receiver. You need to devise a method of modulating the beam at the transmitter, and then to detect the modulation at the receiver end. A simplistic DC-coupled system will not hack it because of ambient sun light. The garage door sensors do all of this for cheap ($18) with only a modicum of additional circuitry to actuate a relay...

Ok, It is too complicated for me to make, so I'll watch out for a set. I'll work first with the original suggestion of a better tube.

I just use an Electric Fence, placed 6 Inches above the ground.

Some really Stupid cats BITE the Wire when it Bites them!
Not very Intelligent!

I just use an Electric Fence, placed 6 Inches above the ground.

Some really Stupid cats BITE the Wire when it Bites them!
Not very Intelligent!

That's what I use to keep the slugs off the veg plot. Don't they remember and climb over?

As for cats. I've thought of various 'remedies' for them (some too extreme to mention), but water is the level where I'm at, and some people would even frown on that. I'll keep it in mind though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back