Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best Approach to Learning

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiterabbit

Can anyone recomend an online electrical engineering program or basic course for electronics controllers, power engineering etc... I am starting from scratch but I wont need a degree just want to follow up on some inventions I have been working on. Is an online university worth it, should I be looking toward purchasing basic educational kits,

.... anyone in the same boat as me? what did you do?

It's a very wide field out there but sounds like to me you want to be doing somthing similar to a HNC electrical / electronic engineering - somthing I would love to do (only got my BNC :( ) Maybe an open-university corrispondance type course? Why not get a book on electronic / electrical engineering designed to compliment courses, but with practical work as well that would be a good start...

Thanks for your input, I found this on-line program which seems to have what I am looking for. I looked at a bunch of books but its hard to make a decision when you dont even understand how to phrase what your looking for.

**broken link removed**

Has anyone ever heard anything on the above school, good or bad.

cheers
jp

A lot of the community colleges have intro to electronics classes and other electronics classes that teach you the basics and are often the starting point for a four year degree

Yes,

I am looking at that option as well. Given the immediate need for one specific project I am working on, that might be a good bet, though my
problem is time. I work from 8am to 8pm. I often have time at work to do stuff on-line or at home after work but it might be tough factoring in travel time to an onsite location.

How much time at work do you have? One thing about many corrispondance courses is that they are designed to fit around your schedule. And some of them you can take as long (within reason) as you want!

Thats a good idea.

I could devote a few hours per day to that type of course at work. Its mostly that I have to be available when somebody needs me.

A correspondence course that consists of actually building a variety of projects using solid state circuits would be choice.

Do you have any in mind that you can recomend?

Thanks

A Good Read

Hello Whiterabbit,
Not seen your posts for a while :wink:

Try this for your referenece book - it seems to cover everything (and the price is right!).
**broken link removed**
Buy a breadboard (prototype board, whatever) and a fistfull of bits and start making smoke - Most of my playset (my favourite toy) will fit in a set of Raaco drawers I can carry anywhere, even with the breadboard full (as seen ).

IMHO your suggested course , the Bachelor of Science program in Electrical Engineering, seems a bit grand to just learn for yourself - especially if there is a project waiting! Learn what you need when you need it - this keeps things more manageable and relevant 8)

here is a free online totorial to help you understand some electrial enginering. i think this is a very very good totorial for free **broken link removed** . there are many sections to this and some you may have to read over again till you finally get what it is talking about it. hope it helps

I checked it out looks really good, I am going to spend some time checking it out next week,

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back