Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How would you approach that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngIntoHW

Id like to show how much each livestock drinks and show that in accordance with the daily temperature.

I have the data how much time each livestock spends around the drinking facility every hour, which for me directly translate to how much they drinks (I don't need to know the amount in liters, just how much time they spend near the drinking facility).

Some days they drink more, some days they drink less, and I assume it's because of the temperature.

My question is,
How to show the temperature each day?
Showing just the daily average temperature wouldn't show the whole story, because it for example can be very hot during the day and very cold during the night, and in that case the average would be the same as if it was a mild day and mild night.

What are your opinions please?

Thank you

A barcode on eartag or attached to it or an adhesive printed label on the tag can be logged as start-stop presence of the animal times, by a fixed scanner at watering location and at the end of presence, log the ambient temperature plus humidity.
iu

Or RFID attached to the tag; or that QR code

iu

Last edited:
hei external
Thank you for helping me
I think you didn't understand my question.

I want to show the temperature in a way that will actually show if it was a warm day, a cold day, or a mild day.
A single average temperature would not show that

Pommie
I have the data of the hourly temperature.
But instead of showing the temperature every hour, I wanna show a number (or two) that will represent how hot it was during the 24 hours.

Just use a 24 element array, averaging in to the appropriate element for each hour.

You can then extract (find) the maximum, minimum and whatever other info may be useful, or give a daily graph etc.

There is no "right" answer here, it depends on how much emphasis you
want on spike versus linear rise times in the day. Eg. it depends on the
choice you apply to the data, the algorithm. You could compute the
equivalent of the total energy measured per day and find its centroid.
You could display a spectrum of Ts for the day.....so many options. You
could do statistics measurements. It all depends whats of most interest
to you in the data.

But it seems to me what your focus is total energy in the day.....not a
mathematician here.....

Regards, Dana.

Thinking a bit more about the effects of varying temperature, possibly find the four (or five, six?) hottest hours of each day and take the average of those.

Short term peaks seem unlikely to have a great effect on large animals, but a high average over a few hours probably becomes quite significant?

I think you didn't understand my question.

I want to show the temperature in a way that will actually show if it was a warm day, a cold day, or a mild day.
A single average temperature would not show that
I think you did not understand my answer. And I did not say 'average' ; i mentioned temperature, not your feel opinion nor the cow's

A computer can log a report like :

Code:
Cow number  Came to water at   Left water at  Temperature C was  Humidity % was     Date

78                       14:22                    14:24                   29                         87                 12Jan23
                27                       14:31                    14:32                   29                         87                 12Jan23

---                      ----                          ----                       ---                         ---                          ---

You can add your extra columns like 'cool' 'warm' 'hot' for defined temperature spans if you want. Thermometers have no cool / warm / nice / hot scales.

Edited. This crappy 'code' feature shifted the contents the way it wants. Cannot improve , use your imagination to align columns. :(

Last edited:
Pommie
I have the data of the hourly temperature.
But instead of showing the temperature every hour, I wanna show a number (or two) that will represent how hot it was during the 24 hours.
I don't know what you are looking for. If you log the temperature every 5 mins then you should be able to extract any data you need from the logged data. What other data do you need?

Mike.

Maybe this might help.

In the 70's, before big data became a practice (because of lack of computing resources),
I was in production seeking answers why yields were not as good as one might expect.
Looking back I started by collecting data, doing simple averaging, and upon inspecting
those simple results that would lead to broadening the data inputs, as well as modifying
its analysis. That was done first for wafer fab, then test, then packaging, and some remarkable,
but not rocket science, results and insights occurred.

This activity resulted in several $M additional revenue over the short term, much more
over the long term. Not chump change in the 70's.

So it seems from your stated goal what you are seeking is the impact of the total heat
load over the day. Which is nothing more than integrating all the samples of T for the day,
eg. the total energy. Rather than averaging which is seeking the "central value" of the
dataset. From integration and observation, you might be able to see some correlation
with a part of the dataset (day) that should be explored further. Or characteristics.
Then keep modifying your measurements/algorithms as you get closer to the meaning
that you seek, even though that may be ill defined at the start.

You might add Humidity and Light Level and barometric pressure to the dataset sensors
as well.

Just some thoughts.....

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
Maybe this might help.

In the 70's, before big data became a practice (because of lack of computing resources),
I was in production seeking answers why yields were not as good as one might expect.
Looking back I started by collecting data, doing simple averaging, and upon inspecting
those simple results that would lead to broadening the data inputs, as well as modifying
its analysis. That was done first for wafer fab, then test, then packaging, and some remarkable,
but not rocket science, results and insights occurred.

This activity resulted in several $M additional revenue over the short term, much more
over the long term. Not chump change in the 70's.

So it seems from your stated goal what you are seeking is the impact of the total heat
load over the day. Which is nothing more than integrating all the samples of T for the day,
eg. the total energy. Rather than averaging which is seeking the "central value" of the
dataset. From integration and observation, you might be able to see some correlation
with a part of the dataset (day) that should be explored further. Or characteristics.
Then keep modifying your measurements/algorithms as you get closer to the meaning
that you seek, even though that may be ill defined at the start.

You might add Humidity and Light Level and barometric pressure to the dataset sensors
as well.

Just some thoughts.....

Regards, Dana.
If the aim is to work out the internal temperature of the cattle then before integration the internal temperature of the cattle should be extracted (subtracted?) from the data. Thinking about it, a rectal thermal logger may be a better way to go about it but no idea how you would do that.:eek:

Mike.

Internal cow T ? I missed that requirement. Could use tail rising as trigger poop is
on its way, and use IR thermometer external to take T of exiting poop.

Regards, Dana.

Internal cow T ?
Just a random guess. I've still no idea what "I wanna show a number (or two) that will represent how hot it was during the 24 hours." means!

Mike.
Edit, I guessed that the internal temperature of the cows led to the "I'm thirsty feeling". So when ambient is below internal the internal will be reduced hence why ΔT (internal to ambient) is what should be integrated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back