Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BCD 2 decimal (need help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then I agree with crutchow as there is no off the shelf easy solution. Crutchow also gave a few solutions but as to simple? There is no easy way.

You could start with a chip like the 74154 4 line to 16 line decoder and maybe work from there where one line of 16 out will go low based on the 4 bit address in but there would be a long way to go. Again, there is no easy way or single chip solution short of messing with a uC chip.

As to the displays what part number are they. The pin count means little by itself.

Ron

Last edited:
I think you need some thing like this
**broken link removed**
That works fine for BCD signals. The difficulty is converting binary to BCD.

You could start with a chip like the 74154 4 line to 16 line decoder and maybe work from there where one line of 16 out will go low based on the 4 bit address in but there would be a long way to go.
That's another possibility. Using that chip you could gate a 4-bit subtracter circuit to subtract 10 from the binary number when the count is 10 or greater. That number would go to the BCD-to-7 segment converter for the right digit. At the same time, you would change the left digit to a 1. Of course up to count 9 you just feed the signal directly to the BCD-to-7 segment converter for the right digit (or subtract 0, whichever is easier logic wise). That would work for a 4-bit number.

Last edited:
These LED displays you have... are they multiplexed type? That is, do the two digits in the display share any pins?

if you are interested in using few logic gates and get it done, see the attached one.

Attachments

• 4 bit Binary to BCD.JPG
    4 bit Binary to BCD.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 600
Here's a 4-bit binary-to-BCD circuit that uses 3 ICs: an adder, a decoder, and a NAND gate. The encoder and NAND gate causes 6 to be added to any number above 9, and adds zero to numbers 0-9, for proper binary-to-BCD conversion.

(Note: The 7-segment displays shown have the BCD-to-7-segment decoder built in.)

The circuit could actually be simplified using a digital comparator such as the 4063 in place of the decoder and NAND gate, but I didn't have models for those in my simulator so am unable to prove its operation. The comparator would be wired so that any input above 9 would give a logic 1 output to B1 and B2 of the adder.

Binary-BCD..jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back