Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BC and engineering schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello, I am graduating this year and would like to go into electrical engineering. Ill try to skip the irrelevantly stuff and get straight to asking the question.

What university in BC, or western Canada even would I be able to get the best education at?

I have been told that it varies from school to school but after even a few weeks of searching and reading up I have no clue as to where would be the best place for me to go. Anyone that has any information that they could share with me with even a gray area answer?, I would be very great full.

University of Alberta. At least, that's what I've been told by some people who came here from Vancouver.

On the other hand, if you want to do marine biology I think UoV (or whatever it's called) has like, the only deep sea research center around here.

Haha...the cake is a lie.

Last edited:
Google 'canada engineering school.' Or take this link:
**broken link removed**
Read everything. I mean everything.

Here's the link to the same site with the 40 educational institutions that offer engineering programs in Canada:
**broken link removed**
They're not listed geographically, so comb through to find the ones that are as far away as you're willing to travel.

Presumably there are not more engineering schools than you can apply for? I see four in B.C., but if your limit is three, sometimes you can pay an extra few bucks to include a fourth. Unless you have some good reason to rule one of the options out, I recommend paying the extra fee to increase your chances of being accepted to somewhere with the best deal for you.

It's a bit awkward trying to apply and research your future school in the same year, so apply everywhere. Visit all your options, and if possible, take a friend who is an expert in the same field. Visiting each school and meeting with the faculty there is the best way to get to start getting a vibe for what will work best for you.

Find out what the class sizes are. If it's a school with a great reputation, but the class sizes are huge, you're not going to learn as well (or enjoy it) as much as smaller class sizes. Kinda ticks me off how many over-rated schools are essentially just pumping undergrads through for funding. Believe me, those schools won't have good reputations for long if they keep that up, so go for small class sizes.

Last edited:
Some maybe much of what you see on the internet is going to be propaganda. Go to the employeers rather then the schools to get help selecting a school.

Determine what flavor of EE work you want to do.
Find a place or six where you would like to work, or at least that does the sort of EE work you want to get into.
Vist or call them and ask what schools their new hires attended. I would setup a plant visit and to talk to the engineers if you can swing it. You may not get past the front desk or PR people, tough to tell.

When asking for the plant visit I would tell them that you want to see engineers in their workplace at work. Do not tell them you are shopping for a school. Both are valid but they will be more apt to warm up to your interest in engineering.

dknguyen said:
Haha...the cake is a lie.
Soon to become the next internet catch phrase!

I don't know about Canadian schools, but try to find one that has a good hands-on curriculum. My school, UMASSD, is heavy on theoretical stuff. We do have labs and go over actually designing projects, but not enough. At least that is my opinion. We are still using OLD tech, too. Like the 6800 and 68000's.

So my advice: Find a school that builds stuff. I have seen plenty that build robots and other projects as well. But they may not be close to home. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back