Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

battery powered single speaker amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

erastos

Hello,

I need to make a portable amp to play cds or a mini disk. I'd like to use a lantern battery or small engine battery...6-12V. The louder the better, and longer lasting battery life.

I'm a beginner, any help is appreciated

erastos said:
The louder the better, and longer lasting battery life.
Louder & battery, there in lies the rub.
The first kills the life of the second.
The LM386 is a good low power mono amp:
**broken link removed**
You may want to browse National's other amps:
**broken link removed**

Attachments

• lm386.jpg
    lm386.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,017
National makes some nice op-amps, but the 386 is not the best by far. For a good op-amp chip, try analog devices or texas instruments. It would be much easier to get some dual op-amp chips, saves space and complexity goes down. Some very good ones are from analog devices such as ad8620 (one of my favorites) , look through their line up of op-amp chips and you can usually make a simple but powerful amp from their datasheets. Downside to these chips, is that they are much more expensive than the lm386, the ad8620 is around $13 and only comes in smt, others are +-$6. If you need help on making a nice small amp, visit these sites for diy audio:

head-fi.org
headwize.com

have a look at these if you are still having trouble, the small one uses the LM386-N1 ad is available in kit form..

XteX Amps:

Micro 386 - £29.99 - (0.3W 170Hz-17Khz) measures 100x6x25mm (!!) water clear blue power led, 3.5mm stereo minijack input, mini volume dial, mini power switch. X1 9V battery power. also available in kit form.

Micro 820 - £49.99 - (1.5W 130Hz-22KHz) water clear blue power led, 3.5mm stereo minijack input for MD/MP3/Discman etc and 1/4" mono input for guitar/portable synthesizer etc (cannot be used simultaneously), volume/power switch/dial, 9V power supply input. X2 or X1 9V battery power.

TB/TR820 Pro - £119.99 - (1.5W 100Hz-22KHz) traslucent (see through) red and blue cases, internal on-PCB illumination, uses audio grade capacitors and precision resistors, available with a selection of lazer-cut speaker grilles (biohazard, radiation and whirlpool), red/blue hexagon head anodized aluminium case/speaker bolts, 5mm water clear red/blue power led in chrome bezel, bass reflect ports, knurled chrome pull-on push-off turn-volume switch/dial, X2 Chrome finish 1/4" mono inputs (the second input is for left/right hand easy access of controls and can also be used as a line out to other amps or mixing console etc), 9V power supply input, X6 AA battery power, supplied with 3.5mm to 1/4" jack lead for use with MD/MP3/Discman etc. all chrome hardware available in black and anodized bolts available in black or silver.

here is the link to a pic:

**broken link removed**

to mail order contact

http://www.xelectrical.com/croydon.htm

Manive never seen an amp that small with a fan already included. Ive made quite a few and never even thought of putting one in, gives it quite the nice look. Do you make these, or are you just posting an ad?

Ivan C.

yeah, these are my babies! it's not actually a fan under the grille tho, it's there to protect the speaker cone. they dont really need cooling as they dont run too hot - i included a heatsink on the 820 Pro models as i thought it may slightly help THD levels by keeping transistor junction temperature on the ic amp low, who knows - it looks good anyway!

=D

Oh, my mistake, it would still be cool to put a fan in just for the looks. I didnt realize that this thread was about amp with speakers already in them, but just for amps. Still, very very nice job on them, they look as my sister says, "futuristic".

ivan c.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back